Which one do I keep? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Which one do I keep!!?
Keep the OBS 250 44 47.31%
Keep the 2000 350 49 52.69%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which one do I keep?

I really need some advice. I bought the 96 from my dad in 2003 and it has been my daily driver off and on since then. In the last 2 years it has been running very unreliably. I think I have finally figured out that the IPR is most likely the culprit, new O rings have been ordered. The 2000 is the truck my dad replaced the 96 with. Well, he has since replaced the 2000 with a new 2012. He told me I could buy it out right from him or if I sold the 96 just give him whatever I got out it to him and we would be square. I don't know which one to keep! They both have their pros and cons. I'm looking to build a fun, durable truck that can do whatever I happen to be doing at the moment. I could be hauling kids one moment or hauling firewood through a muddy field to hauling a Jeep to Colorado in the blazing heat across Kansas.
So here's the breakdown.

1996, E4OD, 179k, stock except for a Tymar intake.
Im not sure but the trans on this one may be giving up. It went into safe mode on me once pulling the camper. I have never felt it slip but it does hang up before shifting every now and then when cold. Hopefully cleaning and adding new o rings to the IPR will resolve its issues, otherwise that will be the deal breaker. This is defiantly easier to get around in and gets better MPG.

2000, 195k, 4R100, bone stock
The trans in this one feels to be in good shape. It was running a little rough when I brought it home. I cleaned out the EBPV and changed the oil in the HPOP. It seems to run smoother and start much easier, all in all it runs pretty darn good. There is a lot of rust up underneath it and has some damage on the bed from the horse trailer. I like how it rides and the 4 wheel disc brakes make it stop well. Lots of aftermarket cool things.
I need help, don't know what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I'm not a fan of the long bed but I like the Superduty the best
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im partial to the OBS but lets be rational.

Bottom line which one in the next 3 years will take less money to keep on the road?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
Im partial to the OBS but lets be rational.

Bottom line which one in the next 3 years will take less money to keep on the road?
^^^^^^^^^X2
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM

I have put at least 20,000 miles in the seat of a super duty and a obs and I have to say I am partial to the super duty. They did make some improvements to the newer ones. And for a long term daily driver I think you will be happier with a newer truck. IMHO though. When all else fails either keep both, or ask your wife! :-D
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM

My opinion, if the Super Duty has major rust issues, you're better off with the OBS. Rust is very difficult to stop completely. Assuming the rust is on the underbody and the chassis, that would be a nightmare to repair properly. I am currently restoring my 1983 SS El Camino and everytime I uncover a new rust issue it breaks my spirits...because I know the labor and cost it will take to fix it properly. Plus, short bed OBS's look awesome...so stick with it.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Another point is the transmission thing. Being the SD has almost 200k on it Id call the transmission a wash. They both are coming up on a rebuild
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Voted.
If any of us could buy a superduty at the price of an OBS, I'm pretty sure I know what everyone would do!!
I at least know what I would do
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM

ive always been partial to the obs, just something about it. and they are getting to be few and far between that are as clean as yours. However the sd is a newer truck with improvments..
Also depends what you plan on doing later down the road... if you plan to do any suspension work keep in mind the 250 obs has the TTB front end.

Sounds like both of them are going to be due for a transmission soon, I would guess the obs will be cheaper to get done.

The SD has alot of newer tech improvements over the obs and most likely will drive a world of difference better.

To me the long bed over the short bed is an advantage, however it looks like your going to need some body work done on that SD bed. and as someone else said, if rust gets away from you on a vehicle it can be considered a death sentence.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCody View Post
I have put at least 20,000 miles in the seat of a super duty and a obs and I have to say I am partial to the super duty. They did make some improvements to the newer ones. And for a long term daily driver I think you will be happier with a newer truck. IMHO though. When all else fails either keep both, or ask your wife! :-D
HAHA, Yeah I already asked the wife if I could just sell her Sequoia and give her one of the trucks. She didn't even answer, just turned around and walked away. I guess she didn't say "no" though. My dad said he had the 2000 in the shop not too along ago. I called the shop and they emailed me everything they did to it. I couldn't believe everything that had been done. Off the top of my head, waterpump, rear pinion seal, new brake lines from the master cylinder back, (line had rusted through and let go while towing horse trailer), wheel bearings, new passenger side hub, ball joints, pads and rotors all way around, and valve cover gaskets.

Now on the OBS in the last 15k it has new fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, glow plugs, gpr, ball joints, front axle joints, front pads and rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.