2004 F-350 6.0L Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 F-350 6.0L Diesel

I do not own a ford diesel yet but im in the market for one. i've got a question for anyone that can help. i've been warned to watch out for certain model years with the 6.0L diesel. i've heard that the 2003 6.0L diesel has had problems. the truck i'm looking at is a 2004. is there anything to look out for?

any help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i would stay away from any 6.0 mine has been nothin but trouble,i even got an extended warrrenty on it and ford wont honor it, get a chevy or dodge
Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM

How about a 7.3. It's better then the 6.0
Old 04-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Retired Army

I have a 2004 6.0 and have had no major issues with it. Just read in the 6.0 area about the issues to watch for. Mine currently has 127,000 on it. It has no mods yet, not sure it will. Do you have more info on the truck, mileage, check to see if it has any recalls and have they been done. They have issues with the valve covers stretching the head bolts so if it has been used with a SCT, Bullydog, or other tuner then it definitely could have some issues. A lot of 6.0 owners aren't happy with theirs but not all of the 2004 6.0's are trouble but some owners will tell you how much trouble their trucks are but sometimes that is not the whole story......
Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue79 View Post
i would stay away from any 6.0 mine has been nothin but trouble,i even got an extended warrrenty on it and ford wont honor it, get a chevy or dodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPowerStroke1986 View Post
How about a 7.3. It's better then the 6.0
bullchit

You can argue which motor/brand is better until you are blue in the face. They all have pro's and con's.

I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy another 6.0. There were a few early runs that had some issues. Get and oasis report ran, to check the warranty history.
There are a few weak points in the 6.0 mainly revolving around the EGR cooler. A little bit of work will have you a very solid truck.
FYI, I sold my 04 with approx 165K on it, I never had any issues out of it
Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue79 View Post
Are you one of the people in the lawsuit against Ford? I think I've seen the court documents floating through the forum?

Good luck with warranty claims with Chevy and Dodge too...It's an equal playing field and try a different dealer?

I love my 6.0. I have a REALLY early 03 6.0 build and I've had problems, but I've fixed them and the truck runs awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Like other members said, run an Oasis, wish I had before I bought mine. With that said, fixing all the "bad stuff" I know what I have now and I'm not anticipating anything to go wrong.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys thanks for the info, i've done some research and thats pretty much what ive come up with. as long as you keep up on the suggested maintenance schedule all should be fine. its an `04 F-350 its got a lift and 35" tires but no other aftermarket work. stock airbox and exhaust, no chip or computer. it has 70,000 miles on it. i've checked the VIN it had no recalls that showed up! i wont be putting many miles on it just need it to pull my boat to and from the launch and the occasional longer trip to the coast. i really appreciate your help!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
bullchit

You can argue which motor/brand is better until you are blue in the face. They all have pro's and con's.

I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy another 6.0. There were a few early runs that had some issues. Get and oasis report ran, to check the warranty history.
There are a few weak points in the 6.0 mainly revolving around the EGR cooler. A little bit of work will have you a very solid truck.
FYI, I sold my 04 with approx 165K on it, I never had any issues out of it
Beat me to it. Mine has given me no problems, but I've done some work to keep from potential problems. Would I buy another? Yep. Anything mechanical has the potential to have a malfunction.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok i've got some more questions for anyone willing to help! are there any tips or tricks in picking out a good `04 F-350 6.0L, besides the oasis report. 70,000 miles looks great runs great no oil or gas leaks. also when you delete the EGR does that affect the emissions? i live in WA and we have to pass state emissions tests.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbajos View Post
ok i've got some more questions for anyone willing to help! are there any tips or tricks in picking out a good `04 F-350 6.0L, besides the oasis report. 70,000 miles looks great runs great no oil or gas leaks. also when you delete the EGR does that affect the emissions? i live in WA and we have to pass state emissions tests.
Yes it does. You will not pass a visual inspection with an EGR delete. Check with your local state laws though. They might not require a visual inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.