New to a Diesel truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to a Diesel truck

I never owned a Diesel but looking to buy one. I found a 2005 F250 supercab shortbed 4x4 with 180,000 miles for 16,900. With a 6spd std.

How many miles on oil changes? Is it like a gas at 3000 miles?
Should I change the head bolts asap and the EGR cooler?
I pull a 25ft fifthwheel with my z-71 and get 7 mpg. SAD

I read the post and hear good and bad all day long!! thanks for your help!

P.S. the truck is stock to the bone if that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
If you have the money I would go ahead and do the egr delete and headstuds. I have always been told its not a matter of if it will happen but when will it happen.

You will get better mileage than that with your psd

I use Rotella 15w40 and change it every 5k
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well im going 3,500 between oil changes, people laugh at me and say im wasting money, but i reather do it early and always have clean oil over messed up injectors.... I would def put ARP Studs and a egr delete on , but asap thats up to you..like southern saids its just when it will happen... and you will def get better than 7mpg towing!!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 AM

I think the 2005 is the 6.0L Powerstroke. My 2008 6.4L Powerstroke service intervals depends on usage (as do any other vehicle). You fall in the special operating conditions category, and as such, Ford recommends changing your oil every 5k miles or 200 engine hours and changing your fuel filters (both) every 10k miles or 400 hours. Additionally, you have to watch your coolant... there's special procedures for those too at 15k miles / 600 engine hrs.

Everything with diesels goes by engine hours. And if you idle your truck, it adds to your engine hours.

It's a myth that you need to change your oil every 3k miles. If you go look in your truck's user manual, it'll probably tell you it's more than twice that.

You don't need to do anything that your manual DOESN'T explicitly tell you to do. There's a maintenance supplement that comes with these diesel trucks. If you go to Ford's website, you should be able to find it and read it on your own. Asking people here will give you a wide variety of answers when, in fact, Ford knows best because they're the ones that designed the trucks. :-)

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The 6.0l is a high maintenance motor. I personally change my oil every 3500-4000 as well and use T6 5w-40 it's expesive but has made a difference. As far as studding the heads and egr/oil coolers, get some gauges or buy an insight. Find outwhat is going on in the motor before spending a fortune if you dont have to. There are plenty of guys with high mileage on stock coolers. My advice if you buy it flush and replace the coolant with an elc, and put an insight on it. The motor isnt fragile, watch the temps and enjoy the ride. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 AM

If you arent going to have high HP or crazy mods or Hot tunes....you dont need headstuds(I'm living proof, 282,000 miles and counting and hauled its whole life). I DO agree on the EGR delete it is night and day difference. And a air to oil cooler or at least the coolant filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.