1994-1998 Vs. 1999-2003 powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke Forum Polls Vote here!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: 1994-1998 vs. 1999.5-2003
1994-1998 17 45.95%
1999.5-2003 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1994-1998 Vs. 1999-2003 powerstroke

I want to get some insight on the different era powerstrokes. I want to get some opinions from people with experience with both eras. I don't care about the looks of the different trucks because the motor i choose to go with is going in an older truck anyhow. I just want to find out which one to go with in reguards to performance and reliability.

A. 1994-1998

B. 1999.5-2003
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

smart choice is the newer 7.3 it has bigger injectors,better hpop,motor fed by electric fuel pump.they also have intercoolers from factory.all those items can be transferred to the first gen stroke if you want by why go through the extra work.one downfall of the 2000-03 years is they had powder metal rods instead of the forged rods(i think thats what there called) that the earlier strokes had.pmr's wont last long once you get to 450-500hp.good tuning will prolong the life but your better of with the forged rods.2000yrs could have been a split yr for the rods im not sure,others will chime in with some more info anyhow,goodluck
Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 PM

What are you putting the motor in and what kinda power are you looking for cause I completely agree 97powerstroker but like he said if your looking to make alot of power the forged rods from the older powerstrokes will hold together alot better
Old 11-19-2009, 04:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am restoring a 1970 f250 crew cab that i want to put a diesel in. I am not looking to drag race every day, it will be my daily driver so thats where i want reliability but i want something that has a little kick when i want it. i will be using it for towing a mud truck a little. i would post pics up but i can never figure out how to post on the internet, i always have to get help. but you can go to Old Ford Crew Cab Community, Pre 1980 Ford Crew Cab owners community and information source. to see what it looks like.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM

I would go with whatever I got the best deal on. If you're planning on buying a complete truck you'll be able to part out the rest of the newer truck for a lot more than the obs, but it will probably cost more to start out with too. I prefer the automatic trannies in the older trucks, but that may not matter to you.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Go with a 99.5-late 2000. You get the larger injectors and turbo. Plus the forged rods that you would from the OBS
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

there all good trucks. but id go with 99-03 cuz you can get more parts for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.