California Internet Sales Tax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
California Internet Sales Tax

To everyone living in California:

I just pulled this off another website and thought I would pass it along to you who live in California.

Proposed New Internet Sales Tax

California Assembly Bill 178 (AB 178) will require out-of-state sites like Amazon (and pretty much every site) to collect sales taxes on everything sold into California.

You might want to express your opinion to your California assemblyman by clicking the link below.

AB 178 might be voted on next week, so contact your state assemblyman and voice your opinion ASAP.

The California State Assembly

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Not sure how they would enforce it, however; as they don't have any authority to regulate or tax interstate commerce. Oh well, there I go again being an extremist.

VA also has an unenforceable law on the books involving shipment of wine into our state. A lot of people like to order wine from CA and other places - which is often not available from retailers here in VA, so buyers will order it from out-of-state wineries and get it shipped via UPS or FedEx.

Since VA has no authority to enforce laws involving interstate commerce (only Congress does, as per Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitutution), it is pretty much a joke. Some shippers do obey the law and won't send anything to VA....but our state cannot do much about those who ignore it.

Same goes for CA, apparently, and I wonder how they will enforce it. In all honesty, CA needs to control their spending - instead of trying to invent new tax schemes!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Smile

vote with your pocket book by not buying from Amazon.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldghamr View Post
vote with your pocket book by not buying from Amazon.
Thats not gonna help. It's going to require EVERY out of state site to collect cali sales tax
Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be intersested to your information, because this is what I got from the website you posted.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 178
AUTHOR(S) : Skinner and Charles Calderon.
TOPIC : Sales and use taxes.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
Non-State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 04/27/2009
LAST HIST. ACTION : In committee: Set, first hearing. Hearing canceled at
the request of author.
COMM. LOCATION : ASM REVENUE AND TAXATION

TITLE : An act to amend Section 6203 of the Revenue and Taxation
Code, relating to taxation.

It won't suprise me - We pay taxes going into a brick-n-mortar store - The state....and don't think other states aren't thinking about it....are looking for ways to increase their revenues, especially in this economy.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Emergency Services

New york did this a few years ago. I simply stopped selling to New York.

The problem with this whole thing is it causes an accounting NIGHTMARE for the business owner. If this takes hold nationwide, I am out of business.

Think about it- I would first have to have my computer system charge the appropriate amount of sales taxes for EACH STATE I receive an order from. Then, probably quarterly, I would have to cut 50 different checks and complete 50 different tax returns and mail them to 50 different states.

In this economy, the small businessman has enough difficulty staying afloat and competing with the "big boys." I run a local diesel performance store and have been steadily adding items to my website, but there is no way I could compete with Jeg's or a giant like that if I have to add an accountant to my payroll.

I hear congress has been considering the possibility of allowing individual states the authority to enforce these laws. If this takes hold, my website is DONE.

Thanks again, tax and spend Democrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.