awol sanctuary - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awol sanctuary

As a military wife I find this crazy! As a citizen I can't help but ask WTH?? I can understand the resistance from a military member but the military is a volunteer service. You volunteer your service.......thoughts?

AWOL Sanctuary: Bellingham City Council Considering Proposal That Would Make City Sanctuary for AWOL Soldiers - KCPQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Project Abused

Sometimes the military you sign up for before boot camp isn't the military you serve in. I know A LOT of corrupt high ranking enlisted/officers in all of my commands, theres a lot of two faced, manipulative people in the service. Most people can shrug it off and deal with it, some cannot. I say if they want to run and become AWOL then do so and find peace that way, but you will always be known as a deserter in time of need. I guess simply put if you are not/never were in the military you don't know what im talking about and who cares if they leave.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goolsbymd View Post
Sometimes the military you sign up for before boot camp isn't the military you serve in. I know A LOT of corrupt high ranking enlisted/officers in all of my commands, theres a lot of two faced, manipulative people in the service. Most people can shrug it off and deal with it, some cannot. I say if they want to run and become AWOL then do so and find peace that way, but you will always be known as a deserter in time of need. I guess simply put if you are not/never were in the military you don't know what im talking about and who cares if they leave.
If this is why people are going AWOL / UA then they are going to have a very hard time in life in general. Maybe that AWNAA crap will become real and they will be taken care of.

As far as a sanctuary city: No Federal Funding. I bet they change their tune pretty quick.

Craig
Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I aggree with Craig, the city should have all federal funding cut immediately. Also the local Police should be ordered that if they do not uphold the laws then they will be removed from position.

The charges are federal charges. It is a federal felony to harbor a fugitive. When you become deserter status you are now a federal fugitive. When you are picked up or caught. You will be returned to the Military for legal actions.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goolsbymd View Post

Interesting viewpoint. Not being military, I have a problem with deserters, however, I understand you not wanting them there. I guess if they repay all signing bonuses and/or educational aid, maybe they should NOT be there. Craig also hit the nail on the head. No fed money to support communities that harbor criminals.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
I am in the Military and I care if they just walk away. They should be prosecuted as a deserter if they fit that category. If not the should face NJP for being UA. I don't care if they can't deal with it. There are procedures in place to deal with those folks that doesn't involve punishment. Just walking away because you disagree with an order is not an option in my book. Just my
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Premium Member

I'm not opposing that point of view. I just have to agree with a soldier that if his heart isn't in it, can you trust him with your back? I would not want to depend on someone like that.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchip View Post
I'm not opposing that point of view. I just have to agree with a soldier that if his heart isn't in it, can you trust him with your back? I would not want to depend on someone like that.
Oh I agree that I wouldn't want them to have my back. But I don't want them to be able to walk away with no consequences for the decision that they made.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
I am in the Military and I care if they just walk away. They should be prosecuted as a deserter if they fit that category. If not the should face NJP for being UA. I don't care if they can't deal with it. There are procedures in place to deal with those folks that doesn't involve punishment. Just walking away because you disagree with an order is not an option in my book. Just my
I know of only one time when I felt the person was doing the right thing. Kinda like in the movie Swat. Sometimes doing the right thing is not doing the right thing.

This person's mother was ill with cancer. He was in the Marines stationed in Cali, He requested hardship transfer, he requested base housing so she could live with him. He even talked to his congressman. He went through every avenue possible to do the right thing. He ended up just taking off after being turned down on everything. He went on deserter status. I ended up having to go to Charlotte to pick him up from the local pd. The commanding officer njped him. Sentenced him to 90 days barrack restriction. Well that didn't last long and he was gone again. The second time I picked him up from Denver PD. He was brought back and placed in the brig for 10 days till his second NJP. At that time the Commanding Officer did not put him on barracks restriction. He just busted him to private and took money from him. Then started the process of a General Discharge. 2 months later this guy was out on a General other then honorable discharge.

So I can sympathize to a point about taking off. But this was during peace time. He also had a valid point in my opinion to do what he did.

But for these idiots to say hey you can desert the military and live here and be safe. Is breaking federal law, and to have elected officials saying this is even more crazy. I think these officials should be removed from office. As I place there actions equal to treason.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

Agreed on both points. Just to restate, I would not want my loved ones to have to depend on these kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.