Obama seeks 'assault weapons' ban - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Obama seeks 'assault weapons' ban

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
Obama seeks 'assault weapons' ban
AG: 'I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum'
Posted: February 26, 2009
9:34 am Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

The Obama administration has announced a sweeping plan to help curb Mexican violence across the border – ban "assault weapons" in the United States.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a news conference at the Justice Department Wednesday.

While he said the ban would be a good move for the U.S., he also claims it will reduce the number of guns reaching Mexico's brutal drug cartels.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum," Holder said.

Mexican officials say the desire for sophisticated guns is encouraging drug cartels to clash over access routes into the U.S.

"International drug trafficking organizations pose a sustained, serious threat to the safety and security of our communities," Holder said. "As the world grows smaller and international criminals step up their efforts to operate inside our borders, the Department of Justice will confront them head on to keep our communities safe."

Holder didn't reveal when the Obama administration will seek to reimplement the ban. In 1994, former President Clinton outlawed 19 types of semi-automatic weapons and ammunition clips when he signed the Assault Weapons Ban into law.

(Story continues below)

Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, told ABC News, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

The NRA estimates that semi-automatic weapons account for approximately 15 percent of 250 million firearms owned in the U.S.

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee the Obama administration may consider other methods of controlling guns, according to the report.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court case Washington, D.C. v. Heller.

Holder, a former Clinton administration official, endorsed the District of Columbia's complete ban on functional guns in residents' homes before it was overturned by the Supreme Court. The court decided in the D.C. vs. Heller case that the Second Amendment provides an individual right to own firearms, not just the right for states to form armed militias.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was reading about this on another thread a lil while ago. This is rediculas!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM

See my other post. Do something.
GUN OWNERS READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM

i hope they do ban assault rifles,and anything that catagorizes under them,you dont need an ak47 to deer hunt with,im not saying ban all guns i just think we dont need that kind of weapons period
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM

SO. The mexicans have a problem and this is how we help them out. Maybe if our borders weren't as wide open as Rosie O'Donnell's mouth they wouldnt be able to smuggle all these hundreds and thousands of "assault rifles" and hand grenades back into Mexico.... Last time I checked you get caught with a single 9mm round in your pocket when you cross into Mexico they will arrest you on the spot.

But, anything can be rationalized.... I guess any excuse for gun control is better than no excuse.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM

So instead of increasing border security, and targeting gangs, we will target law abiding citizens. Even if the only reason for having them is to prevent the gov from taking away more or our Civil Rights just by them being worried out a resistance that is enough.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

I agree to a point. I'm a big hunter and own 3 guns so far. I can't really use an M16 or any other automatic weapon when hunting so I really have no care for one. Now the reason I don't stand 100% behind it is because we're Americans and we should be able to own whatever, in this case Automatic rifles.

The government always seems to be taking rights from us Americans that actually follow the laws because they think that if they remove the law its will prevent criminals from getting a hold of certain weapons, etc. In the end it will just leave us with nothing while the criminals will find a way to get them no matter what.

Last edited by PowerSmoker24; 02-26-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSmoker24 View Post
I agree to a point. I'm a big hunter and own 3 guns so far. I can't really use an M16 or any other automatic weapon when hunting so I really have no care for one.
Your hobby as a hunter is not the same as the hobby I hold dear, which is shooting ALL of my guns at a target and watching it disintegrate. I respect part of your argument, but the fact that you don't see the "use" of an M16, is not a reason for them to be banned. IDIOTS ON THE STREETS WILL HAVE GUNS, KNIFES, GRENADES, and anything else they deem necessary to build their drug empire, or gang
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbaldwin69 View Post
i hope they do ban assault rifles,and anything that catagorizes under them,you dont need an ak47 to deer hunt with,im not saying ban all guns i just think we dont need that kind of weapons period
You say its ok for them to ban assault rifles just because YOU can't use them to hunt? Once they do that, they have their foot in the door to ban guns that you hunt with. Why don't list the guns you have and I'll bet there is at least one that will be condemned under the ban
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 PM

yea assult wepons are only a problem in the wrong hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.