What you didn't lern in HS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Offroadmaniac
  • 1 Post By Riseinside1892

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What you didn't lern in HS

I'm wanting to become a teacher of industral arts (shop teacher) but jobs are so rare that I'm not going to go back to school just to be un-employed (and I make more $$ now then when I'd finnish)....

so my point is how did you lern the hands on type of things (plumbing/wood work/welding/ working on cars/ ect) when growing up. I've got and idea but want to know how most people learn this type of stuff.

PS: also one of the reasons I'm thinking of home schooling my boys is because our shcool system here sucks! and the current trend is only to get worse, because not all kids are college material (like me) and the "trades" can be just as good as college (example: brother-in-law never finished HS and makes good money as a lineman)

Last edited by dannanw; 04-17-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: cant speelll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM
American and Proud

the tool boy for my dad growing up, every time he was working on something I was helping him, picked it up watching enough
The Following User Says Thank You to junior125 For This Useful Post:
hucorey (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Dad taught me everything outside of school and now I can build a house from the ground up including plumbing and electrical, I'm just not licensed. Also taught me welding basics but the FFA expanded on it. Auto mechanics, home building, how to treat your Wife, just about everything...thanks Dad.
dannanw and junior125 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offroadmaniac For This Useful Post:
hucorey (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadmaniac View Post
Dad taught me everything outside of school and now I can build a house from the ground up including plumbing and electrical, I'm just not licensed. Also taught me welding basics but the FFA expanded on it. Auto mechanics, home building, how to treat your Wife, just about everything...thanks Dad.
x2

apparently "x2" is too short even though I quoted a previous post. There that should be at least 10 characters.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadmaniac View Post
Same here as well. Thanks to many years of projects with my dad and now working with him in a machine shop, there isn't many projects I'd be afraid to tackle on my own. Nothing teaches ya how to work like your dad and/or grandpa

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
dannanw likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Hands on dad friends dad a little at school dad dad dad......

Yep just like everyone else. Plus my job now was more of a learning hands on repetively.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the replies....

I'm hoping to be able to open a "school"/tutor type program that teaches kids (and even adults) what they dont teach in HS, just some basic type stuff that most of us handy folks take for granted. Like tile work, oil change, breaks, power tool(s), welding, wood work....you get the picture haha.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 AM

I think it's a good idea. I'm sure there is quite a few people who maybe never had a good influence or never took the time to learn. Many tasks like rewiring an outlet or fixing a patch of drywall are things people like us see as a simple fix and a necessity to know for homeownership. However, if you never had the right direction even changing oil could seem like a daunting task. It would be good for a lot of people. There is an alarming amount of people who can't even change a tire and granted many people now are just lazy, there is still a lot of kids out there who simply never got the chance to learn.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My dad got me started with a lot of very basic stuff, building a simple deck, hang drywall etc. Changing oil. Taking me to the NHRA races each year, going to backwoods dirt tracks Watchin crappy late models. Lol

But then I kinda fell into the right hands of different tradesmen along life's path. Washed cars at a used dealership until I graduated, and I stayed late many times helping the mechanic learned a ton there. Off to college, drank lots of beer. Lol. Got my business degree. But summer work to pay for college, I started in a big job shop $4hr learning to weld. 5yrs there with great guys. Became lead man in only 2 yrs. Then off to steelmill for the last 14yrs as a millwright/pipewelder/little bit electrical/mechanic. Was the lead man in the machine shop for a couple years.
Its really surreal on how many great people I've been around to show me Sooo much. Built 5 houses now and also own my own fab shop since '09, and now getting into retail diesel performance parts just recently.

Btw, depending on what degree, college can be a great waste of time and money, put you in debt to never be able to buy a house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.