Texas Teachers Carry Guns - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Texas Teachers Carry Guns

Texas school district letting teachers carry gunsPublished - Aug 15 2008 06:18PM CDT | AP

A tiny Texas district will allow teachers and staff members to carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings when classes begin this month, provided the gun-toting employees follow certain requirements.

The small community of Harrold in north Texas is a 30-minute drive from the Wilbarger County Sheriff's Office, leaving students and teachers without protection, said David Thweatt, superintendent of the Harrold Independent School District. The lone campus of the 110-student district sits near a heavily traveled highway, which could make it a target, he argued.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started. Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves? That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog," Thweatt said in a story published Friday on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Web site.

Barbara Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Association of School Boards, said her organization did not know of another district with such a policy. Ken Trump, a Cleveland-based school security expert who advises districts nationwide, said Harrold is the first district with such a policy.

Trustees approved the policy change last year. For employees to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations; and must ammunition designed to minimize the risk of ricocheting bullets.

Officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change, Thweatt said. The district also has other measures in place to prevent a school shooting, he said.

"The naysayers think (a shooting) won't happen here. If something were to happen here, I'd much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them," Thweatt said.

Texas law outlaws firearms at schools unless specific institutions allow them.

It isn't clear how many of the 50 or so teachers and staff members will be armed this fall because Thweatt did not disclose that information, to keep it from students or potential attackers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Gig 'Em

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I love this! I was really excited when I heard about it this morning.
Apparently Texas is supposed to vote at the beginning of next year on a bill that would allow people with CHLs to carry on college campuses. We just keep ticking off the Brady Bunch.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think its time for me to pack up and leave TOTO at the poor farm and move to Texas. I can protect my children when theyre with me but not at school. I would feel a hell of a lot better if there were CCH teachers whose only wish is to keep them safe as well. Look evil doers of Texas, the teachers now have a voice that will be FELT!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
She's paid for!!!!!!

I'm all for it. Both my Mom(step-mom) and little sister are school teachers, one in Dallas, on in Arlington and I don't know how many stories I've heard of violent, uncontrollable kids (some with weapons, knives and such) and they are powerless to do anything. We do not need another school shooting, maybe the threat or knowledge that your teacher may be packing will make someone think twice
Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

That is a beautiful thing
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
TEXAS!!!!! The only state to whip another country's ***!!!!! Looks like its gonna happen again!!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how long till the dems/libs tear this one to pieces?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Infidel

Wow our state leads again in common sense woo hoo! Now if we could just secede.
Craig
Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankroddin250 View Post
They're not allowed in Texas.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankroddin250 View Post
Till some freak tries another Columbine and gets double tapped, and then its all over the papers about how many children's lives were saved because of it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.