Bob Barr Libertarian - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bob Barr Libertarian

Another candidate who threw his hat in the ring.
Bob Barr 2008 — Liberty for America

www.bobbarr.org

I like a lot of the Libertarian party's view points, however, their desire to legalize drugs drives me nuts. Anyways, just posting this so others can see about the guy for themselves.
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Yahoo to dercody
Well, the way the government is, if you legalize the drugs, maybe they can tax it like they do diesel fuel. Might even counter the cost of the illegals in this country. Could end up with a lot more revenue.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercody View Post
Well, the way the government is, if you legalize the drugs, maybe they can tax it like they do diesel fuel. Might even counter the cost of the illegals in this country. Could end up with a lot more revenue.
Might have the "hypocrite flag" thrown at me here, I guess I could handle marijuana legalized kind of like how Alaska did it. But seeing and hearing about too many heroin, cocaine, crack, ecstasy, meth overdoses is enough for me to justify keeping them illegal. Not too mention the collateral damage such as the impact on families, the community, criminal justice system, etc.......

A true story.......about two weeks ago I had a 31 y/o pt. Messed up on drugs he ends up in the ER. He gives me his mom's phone number and I call her. His mom says "He's there because he chooses drugs over his family, he has done this for years, sorry can't help you, he's on his own. Goodbye"

Some serious tough love, but I understand it.

Drugs are just to destructive to society and the individual to have them legalized, IMHO.

Craig
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Conservative and Proud

I like his view on secured borders.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappeetxnR.N. View Post
A true story.......about two weeks ago I had a 31 y/o pt. Messed up on drugs he ends up in the ER. He gives me his mom's phone number and I call her. His mom says "He's there because he chooses drugs over his family, he has done this for years, sorry can't help you, he's on his own. Goodbye."
Legalizing drugs will never really happen because there are too many people who make a lot of money off of dealing with the problem. Can you imagine the outcry if every single person at the D.E.A lost their job? Sure there would need to be jobs in regulation but not nearly as many. I have to disagree with drugs destroying people/families though. Just like guns, drugs don't do anything on their own. Bad people destroy themselves and their families, they just happen to use drugs in the process. Just like other bad people kill other people, and happen to use guns in the process. There isn't a single person who lost their family or their life due to drugs who wouldn't have done the same thing some other way (other types of crime, etc...). Chances are the guy you had in the E.R. won't be missed and the world will be that much better of a place once he's gone.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Yahoo to dercody
Yeah, I hear ya on the drugs thing. And good on the mom who told you she couldn't help you, yes, tough love, but if people keep getting rescued and never face the consequences of their actions they will never change. She stopped being an enabler. But then, you know that even if they want to get the drugs legalized, it won't happen, there is too much evidence against the legalization of anything other than marijuana. Tax the living daylights out of it!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Conservative and Proud

Just curious, where does it say that this guy wants to legalize drugs?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
Just curious, where does it say that this guy wants to legalize drugs?
I haven't read where he specifically wants to. It is just one of the platforms that the libertarian party promotes. Since he is the Libertarian nominee I am guilty of assuming that he too, is for the legalization of drugs.

From: Official Website of the Libertarian National Committee

III.2 The War on Drugs

The Issue: The suffering that drug misuse has brought about is deplorable; however, drug prohibition causes more harm than drugs themselves. The so-called "War on Drugs" is in reality a war against the American people, our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. It is a grave threat to individual liberty, to domestic order and to peace in the world.

The Principle: Individuals should have the right to use drugs, whether for medical or recreational purposes, without fear of legal reprisals, but must be held legally responsible for the consequences of their actions only if they violate others’ rights.

Solutions: Social involvement by individuals is essential to address the problem of substance misuse and abuse. Popular education and assistance groups are a better approach than prohibition, and we support the activities of private organizations as the best way to move forward on the issue.

Transitional Action: Repeal all laws establishing criminal or civil penalties for the use of drugs. Repeal laws that infringe upon individual rights to be secure in our persons, homes, and property as protected by the Fourth Amendment. Stop the use of "anti-crime" measures such as profiling or civil asset forfeiture that reduce the standard of proof historically borne by government in prosecutions. Stop prosecuting accused non-violent drug offenders, and pardon those previously convicted.

But aside from this, I generally like the majority of what they stand for.

Craig
Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Cynic

Legal pot? Sounds nice, but would never happen.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Legalizing drugs will never really happen because there are too many people who make a lot of money off of dealing with the problem. Can you imagine the outcry if every single person at the D.E.A lost their job? Sure there would need to be jobs in regulation but not nearly as many. I have to disagree with drugs destroying people/families though. Just like guns, drugs don't do anything on their own. Bad people destroy themselves and their families, they just happen to use drugs in the process. Just like other bad people kill other people, and happen to use guns in the process. There isn't a single person who lost their family or their life due to drugs who wouldn't have done the same thing some other way (other types of crime, etc...). Chances are the guy you had in the E.R. won't be missed and the world will be that much better of a place once he's gone.
Are you sure your a liberal? Sounds like you might have some mean ol' conservative blood running around in those veins Sorry couldn't resist.
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.