WITH THE OLD BREED - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WITH THE OLD BREED

I just wanted to recommend a book to all of you military guys, especially MARINES!

I just got done reading "with the old breed, at Peleliu and Okinawa"
written by Eugene B. Sledgehammer" Sledge

It is about his front line accounts of the of the bloodiest island invasions of World War II.

I was so moved while reading this book about the esprit de corp of the Marines that it almost made me regret joining the army!

Even if your not a big "book reader" if your interested in military history then you need to read this book.

Here are a couple of quotes:

" Everything my life had been before and has been after pales in the light of that awesome moment when my amtrac started in amid a thunderous bombardment toward the flaming, smoke-shrouded beach for the assault on Peleliu."

"H-hour, 0800. Long jets of red flame mixed with thick black smoke rushed out of the muzzles of the huge battleships' 16-inch guns with a noise like a thunderclap. The giant shells tore through the air toward the island, roaring like locomotives"

"We moved ahead, watching the frightful spectacle. Huge geysers of water rose around the amtracs ahead of us as they approached the reef. The beach was now marked along its length by a continuous sheet of flame backed by a thick wall of smoke. It seemed as though a huge volcano had erupted from the sea, and rather than heading for an island, we were being drawn into the vortex of a flaming abyss. For many it was to be oblivion. The lieutenant braced himself and pulled out a half-pint whiskey bottle. "This is it, boys" he yelled. Just like they do in the movies! It seemed unreal."

Here is a quote from his Okinawa campaign:
"We prepared to cross. The Nambu kept firing down the smoke-covered draw. I was reluctant to go, as were the others, but we could see Redifer standing out in the draw, throwing more phosphorus grenades to hide us. I felt like a coward. My buddies must have felt the same way as we glanced anxiously at each other. Someone said resignedly, "lets go, on the double, and keep your five-pace interval."
We dashed into the smoky, murky air. I lowered my head and gritted my teeth as the machine-gun slugs snapped and zipped around us. I expected to get hit. So did the others. I wasn't being brave, but Redifer was, and I would rather take my chances than be yellow in the face of his risks to screen us. If he got hit while I was cringing in safety, I knew it would haunt me the rest of my life-that is, if I lived much longer, which seemed more unlikely every day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Guess nobody reads more than the funny papers around here
Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I have been meaning to pick up a good book to read! Now I know what it will be! Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
I have been meaning to pick up a good book to read! Now I know what it will be! Thanks
It is GREAT! I'll probably end up reading it again sometime soon.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I have heard of that book and will look for it too.
Will bring back some memories maybe, used to drive an amtrac. I'm an old guy but was a Marine after ww11.
Bill
Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 AM

My Grandpa was in the 1st. Marine Division on Midway when the Japanese attacked it, and stormed the beaches of Peleliu and Iwo Jima. The book I read was his. After seeing the series "the war" on PBS I asked my grandma if she heard of the book "with the old breed" and she said that grandpa has it, told me to be very careful with it and let me take it home to read. Grandpa passed in 2004. I asked her what he thought of the book and all she told me was he said "he got it right"

And he never ever talked about the war except one time when I was about 14 I gave him a book called "Paradise in the pacific" and it was a pictorial about the pacific islands and there were some WWII aerial photos of Peleliu and when he got to a page he stopped and stared at it for about half an hour. Finally I asked him what was wrong and he pointed to a path that led from the beach and said "this is the route I took to get off the beach, I took cover in this impact crater, moved up and set up under this tower, and this is where my best friend was killed"
When he passed in 2004 my grandma made the trip to the island of Peleliu and scattered his ashes in the crater under the tower. Since then she has been back 5 more times. Searching for war relics (nothing has been removed from the island) it is a national battlefield park.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Thats an interesting story! Thanks for shareing
Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Infidel

Will definitely take a look at the book.
Craig
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Thats an interesting story! Thanks for shareing
I wish I had more, but he never talked about it. EVER

He did say that after 9/11 the USA will have many more problems with the "Muslim extremists"

When I asked him why he said because they are FANATICS and "you don't understand what fanatics will do"
"Myself and 4 Marines were in a gun pit on Iwo Jima, and two Japs came out of the jungle and charged us wearing nothing but loin cloths and their only weapons were their sabers".
"They were so fanatical they thought they could charge 5 heavily armed Marines with sabers and kill us" "we just shot them to pieces"
"they will do anything"
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmalards View Post
My Grandpa was in the 1st. Marine Division on Midway when the Japanese attacked it, and stormed the beaches of Peleliu and Iwo Jima. The book I read was his. After seeing the series "the war" on PBS I asked my grandma if she heard of the book "with the old breed" and she said that grandpa has it, told me to be very careful with it and let me take it home to read. Grandpa passed in 2004. I asked her what he thought of the book and all she told me was he said "he got it right"

And he never ever talked about the war except one time when I was about 14 I gave him a book called "Paradise in the pacific" and it was a pictorial about the pacific islands and there were some WWII aerial photos of Peleliu and when he got to a page he stopped and stared at it for about half an hour. Finally I asked him what was wrong and he pointed to a path that led from the beach and said "this is the route I took to get off the beach, I took cover in this impact crater, moved up and set up under this tower, and this is where my best friend was killed"
When he passed in 2004 my grandma made the trip to the island of Peleliu and scattered his ashes in the crater under the tower. Since then she has been back 5 more times. Searching for war relics (nothing has been removed from the island) it is a national battlefield park.
That gave me the chills awesome story .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.