wish we had REAL leaders like this in the US... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wish we had REAL leaders like this in the US...

transcript of binyamin netanyahu's address to congress today. I wish we had a REAL leader like this guy in the United States, not Paddy O'Bama who's over in ireland, on vacation, yucking it up, drinking guiness in the land of his supposed great great great grandwhatever, while the US midwest has been ravaged by storms killing hundreds, while we're STILL at 10% unemployment, etc etc etc

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s address to Congress - The Washington Post

"So today the Middle East stands at a fateful crossroads. And like all of you, I pray that the peoples of the region choose the path less traveled, the path of liberty.

No one knows what this path consists of better than you. Nobody.

This path of liberty is not paved by elections alone. Itís paved when governments permit protests in town squares, when limits are placed on the powers of rulers, when judges are beholden to laws and not men, and when human rights cannot be crushed by tribal loyalties or mob rule.

Israel has always embraced this path in a Middle East that has long rejected it. In a region where women are stoned, gays are hanged, Christians are persecuted, Israel stands out. It is different.

And this was seen...

There was a great English writer in the 19th century, George Eliot. Itís a she. That was a pseudonym in those days.

George Eliot predicted over a century ago that once established the Jewish state -- hereís what she said, ďThe Jewish state will shine like a bright star of freedom amid the despotisms of the East.Ē

Well, she was right. We have a free press, independent courts, an open economy, rambunctious parliamentary debates.

Now, donít laugh.

Ah, you see, you think youíre tough on another -- on one another here in Congress? Come spend a day in the Knesset. Be my guest.

Courageous Arab protesters are now struggling to secure these very same rights for their peoples, for their societies.

Weíre proud in Israel that over 1 million Arab citizens of Israel have been enjoying these rights for decades.

Of the 300 million Arabs in the Middle East and North Africa, only Israelís Arab citizens enjoy real democratic rights.

Now, I want you to stop for a second and think about that. Of those 300 million Arabs, less than one-half of 1 percent are truly free and theyíre all citizens of Israel.

This startling fact reveals a basic truth: Israel is not what is wrong with about the Middle East; Israel is what is right about the Middle East.

Israel fully supports the desire of Arab peoples in our region to live freely. We long for the day when Israel will be one of many real democracies in the region -- in the Middle East.

Fifteen years ago, I stood at this very podium. By the way, it hasnít changed.

I stood here and I said that democracy must start to take root in the Arab world. Well, itís begun to take root. And this beginning holds the promise of a brilliant future of peace and prosperity. Because I believe that a Middle East that is genuinely democratic will be a Middle East truly at peace.

But while we hope for the best and while we work for the best, we must also recognize that powerful forces oppose this future.

They oppose modernity. They oppose democracy. They oppose peace."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.