Bill the sign man says it again. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bill the sign man says it again.

Electric Cars,

Before I start, understand I was a union member for a little over the first 10 years Sitting here hoping the NFL will settle its contract so we can have a football season this year, I was planning my trip to Cleveland to watch the Steelers pound them into the turf. I also was considering buying an ALL ELECTRIC CAR with the price of gas climbing the way it is. So I looked at a Nissan Leaf at about $40,000 and where it can take me. The Nissan Leaf has been tested under the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, a laboratory test commonly called the LA4 test cycle, which represents city driving conditions. Top speed is 56.7mph. Since I will be on the turnpike these are the specs I can expect. On a "FULL CHARGE" at 55mph and the AC or heater on my range is "POSSIBLY" 70 miles before recharging (recharging takes 8 hours. Hoping I can find a charging station when I get that far). If it is raining my range will be less with the wipers running and if I'm driving into the wind the range goes down even more. The distance from Pittsburgh to Cleveland Stadium is about 145-150 miles. So hopefully I won't need the AC or heater and its not raining or windy (unless its a tail wind) and this will be my day. Drive about 1 hour and 15 minutes--stop for an 8 hour charge, drive another 1 hour and 15 minutes and hope I make it to the stadium (or I'll need another 8 hour charge). Assuming I make it to the stadium (on the first charge) I sure hope there is a charging station available. Now I plug my car in, go watch a 3 hour football game, come out and wait 5 more hours for the battery to fully charge. Drive 1 hour and 15 minutes stop for another 8 hour charge and drive another 1 hour and 15 minutes and I'm back home but can't even go to the store until I charge the car again for 8 hours. In my Ford ranger (gas) the trip takes about 2 hours---with the new "TECHNOLOGICAL ELECTRIC CAR" it takes 10 1/2 hours minimum to Cleveland And 15 1/2 hours minimum back to Pittsburgh (providing ALL conditions are perfect), I could make better time than that on a bicycle and save $40,000 along with saving the tax payers for my "ENERGY CREDIT". Here's a better comparison yet: My great grandfather who lived in Shaker Heights, a suburb of Cleveland Ohio and had a 1910 Model T Ford could make that same trip in roughly 5 hours--100 years ago. We've come a long way baby (or have we).

My suggestion to President Obama is simple: Start drilling domestically (this creates many GOOD PAYING JOBS) as well as lowers gas prices and quit wasting money on tax credits that don't make sense. Giving tax credits for electric cars would be the same as giving tax credits for using 2 cans and a string to put down our cell phones. I think the only reason you're not pushing for 2 cans and a string in your ALTERNATIVE ENERGY PROGRAM is the fact that there is nowhere to "PUSH ONE FOR ENGLISH" SORRY but I don't see myself as part of this "ELECTRIC CAR REVOLUTION".

From, Bill Balsamico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
Electric Cars,

Before I start, understand I was a union member for a little over the first 10 years Sitting here hoping the NFL will settle its contract so we can have a football season this year, I was planning my trip to Cleveland to watch the Steelers pound them into the turf. I also was considering buying an ALL ELECTRIC CAR with the price of gas climbing the way it is. So I looked at a Nissan Leaf at about $40,000 and where it can take me. The Nissan Leaf has been tested under the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule, a laboratory test commonly called the LA4 test cycle, which represents city driving conditions. Top speed is 56.7mph. Since I will be on the turnpike these are the specs I can expect. On a "FULL CHARGE" at 55mph and the AC or heater on my range is "POSSIBLY" 70 miles before recharging (recharging takes 8 hours. Hoping I can find a charging station when I get that far). If it is raining my range will be less with the wipers running and if I'm driving into the wind the range goes down even more. The distance from Pittsburgh to Cleveland Stadium is about 145-150 miles. So hopefully I won't need the AC or heater and its not raining or windy (unless its a tail wind) and this will be my day. Drive about 1 hour and 15 minutes--stop for an 8 hour charge, drive another 1 hour and 15 minutes and hope I make it to the stadium (or I'll need another 8 hour charge). Assuming I make it to the stadium (on the first charge) I sure hope there is a charging station available. Now I plug my car in, go watch a 3 hour football game, come out and wait 5 more hours for the battery to fully charge. Drive 1 hour and 15 minutes stop for another 8 hour charge and drive another 1 hour and 15 minutes and I'm back home but can't even go to the store until I charge the car again for 8 hours. In my Ford ranger (gas) the trip takes about 2 hours---with the new "TECHNOLOGICAL ELECTRIC CAR" it takes 10 1/2 hours minimum to Cleveland And 15 1/2 hours minimum back to Pittsburgh (providing ALL conditions are perfect), I could make better time than that on a bicycle and save $40,000 along with saving the tax payers for my "ENERGY CREDIT". Here's a better comparison yet: My great grandfather who lived in Shaker Heights, a suburb of Cleveland Ohio and had a 1910 Model T Ford could make that same trip in roughly 5 hours--100 years ago. We've come a long way baby (or have we).

My suggestion to President Obama is simple: Start drilling domestically (this creates many GOOD PAYING JOBS) as well as lowers gas prices and quit wasting money on tax credits that don't make sense. Giving tax credits for electric cars would be the same as giving tax credits for using 2 cans and a string to put down our cell phones. I think the only reason you're not pushing for 2 cans and a string in your ALTERNATIVE ENERGY PROGRAM is the fact that there is nowhere to "PUSH ONE FOR ENGLISH" SORRY but I don't see myself as part of this "ELECTRIC CAR REVOLUTION".

From, Bill Balsamico

WHEEWWW!!!

Careful how you start these threads,I was ready to hang you out to dry and wish I got behind you on the road before I read the whole first paragraph!

Just messin with ya bud!

I totally agree!

With the mess the middle east is in-well-more than normal

I heard on the radio today that if we just drill on Alasksa's shelf,it would be the 8th largest oil producer in the world.......that's not including the lift of A$$bama's unconstitutional ban in the gulf,or even tapping the N.West corner of the US-which has more lite-sweet crude oil than the entire middle east all combined....that could fuel our country for over 200 years

That would employ over 50,000 workers,the rigs are on land which would make a spill an easy and safe clean up for the environment

That would also equal a barrel of oil to be around $15 a barrel...which would equate to under 50 cents / gallon.

Heck,with a price that cheap...they could match that in a tax to be 1$...heck..I'd pay that everyday!...gas or diesel!!!

They could use that tax to help pay off the debt.....then gouge the rest of the world for a profit...to pay off same.

Then we'll see what the middle east has to say---that's all they have to bargain with,then they will have to bargain and pay us for wheat,etc.

One natural resource could revive our country in no time at all!

But as long as A$$bama is president...........we're screwed royally..it will never happen...

2012 needs REAL change for our country!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Retired Coastie

Man that was the best laugh I've had today.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by icysmooth View Post
WHEEWWW!!!

Careful how you start these threads,I was ready to hang you out to dry and wish I got behind you on the road before I read the whole first paragraph!

Just messin with ya bud!

I totally agree!

With the mess the middle east is in-well-more than normal

I heard on the radio today that if we just drill on Alasksa's shelf,it would be the 8th largest oil producer in the world.......that's not including the lift of A$$bama's unconstitutional ban in the gulf,or even tapping the N.West corner of the US-which has more lite-sweet crude oil than the entire middle east all combined....that could fuel our country for over 200 years

That would employ over 50,000 workers,the rigs are on land which would make a spill an easy and safe clean up for the environment

That would also equal a barrel of oil to be around $15 a barrel...which would equate to under 50 cents / gallon.

Heck,with a price that cheap...they could match that in a tax to be 1$...heck..I'd pay that everyday!...gas or diesel!!!

They could use that tax to help pay off the debt.....then gouge the rest of the world for a profit...to pay off same.

Then we'll see what the middle east has to say---that's all they have to bargain with,then they will have to bargain and pay us for wheat,etc.

One natural resource could revive our country in no time at all!

But as long as A$$bama is president...........we're screwed royally..it will never happen...

2012 needs REAL change for our country!

You said it brother!!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM

It's common sense that these people lack.
I 'm highly debating on selling my truck (I'm 19 years old work part time and go to school full time) and am having a hard time doing anything BUT go to work
but I think thats exactly what they want me to do so I'm not going to
Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger6x View Post
It's common sense that these people lack.
I 'm highly debating on selling my truck (I'm 19 years old work part time and go to school full time) and am having a hard time doing anything BUT go to work
but I think thats exactly what they want me to do so I'm not going to
Don't give up the fight bud....they will crumble...a liar can only remember back so far before they put both feet in their mouth...and they choke!!....that ain't too far away,like I said,it's just a matter of time,,,it will happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.