ALL UNION/PUBLIC EMPLOYEES ESPECIALLY: Ohio Senate Bill 5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ALL UNION/PUBLIC EMPLOYEES ESPECIALLY: Ohio Senate Bill 5

Ill go ahead and edit this all out myself, mod feel free to delete..

I did choose my job- and love it.. I too started as a volunteer and was then lucky enough to get a full time job doing what I love. This all had nothing to do with that, it had to do with the new govenor and his movement putting a bad face on public safety and their unions as well as other unions, which is not always the case. Will I agree with you both and say unions have their place and time- absolutely! but unions did not bankrupt the country, states or local governments.. and is not the fix to financial problems

enough said by me, and thats why im deleting the whole thing, it was not put up here to start an argument..

Last edited by harley2envy; 02-17-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Your livelihood is in no danger. I fully support the bill as WI is doing the same thing.

Im also in the same profession as you but non union. Unions have bankrupted many communities in the name of unionization.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM

as above....

Last edited by harley2envy; 02-17-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The passage of this bill wont kill anything.

Collective bargaining is bull****. A better description would be holding the taxpayers hostage.

As to your medicare medicaid statement. It sucks. Most of that is fraud however
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2envy View Post
Whats up org members. Im sure there are many ppl on here from Ohio that this bill will affect and there are others on here that know the cause and affect of legislature such as what we're dealing with here in Ohio. Also, many non-union members who may not agree with what this bill is trying to accomplish. Quick note about myself: Im a professional firefighter with IAFF local 336(Middletown,Ohio). If you dont know anything about Middletown, which most dont, in the middle of Dayton and Cincinnati. Our local economy relies greatly on manufacturing which in turn means our unions have a large influence in our area and a lot of union "blue collar" workers live here.

If you dont know anything about SB 5, it is like bills that other states have seen and is an outright attack on union workers rights as well as public employee rights. The bill is aimed at eliminating collective bargaining as a whole or significantly reducing it, while it removes the right to strike and many other benefits to being part of a union. It was introduced by a neighboring senator to Middletown named Shannon Jones, a member of the republican party/tea party movement.

I am by no means a politician, and am really new to union ways. All I know is what Ive experienced in my few years as a firefighter/paramedic, and one of which has been proven by studies: we as public sector employees are under paid compared to private sector employees here in Ohio- its a proven fact! Im not hear to argue with anyone, and am also not here to change anyones political views/beliefs. My intent is to inform ppl of what is going on here in Ohio(its going to spread like wildfire) and hope that if your're a union member here in Ohio and havent contacted your local senator you do so. Also, if you live in another state and you are interested in sending an email to one of our senators in support of our rally to kill senate bill 5, the state of Ohio unions/public employees would greatly appreciate you.

There is a lot more to this bill that I will not bore you with. If your interested you can type Ohio Senate Bill 5 into any search engine and will get a ton of information.

Again, not here to argue with ppl, so dont waste your time, just looking for help to save my livelihood as well as many others(autoworkers, firefighters, police officers, trade wokers, teachers and many more) in order to save jobs which is what our state needs, MORE JOBS! The problem in government does not lie with us!

Thanks for you time!

Below is the site with all senators contact information
Ohio Senate Members
Not here to argue with you,but maybe I am , but I am a union member of the #486 steamfitters in Balto,Md.

I've been a member for 10 years of my 24 year career,but I will say the only reason I joined was for the money and benefits....meaning family health insurance.

Next fact-I haven't gotten a raise for 2 years because of lack of work and man hours -but you won't hear me crying about it-I still make more than non-union guys--So I'm good to go for now-but always ready to make a move---I rely on no one--but me as far as that goes

I'm not like most union guys because I've been on both sides of the fence.

I know how to survive when the chit hits the fan...I'll just go get another job and move on,and not cry about it

Bottom line,Unions were made to protect the safety of workers from the early days of sweat-shop manufacturing ,not to line their pockets with perks.

Next-no one made you be an emergency responder of any kind-that was YOUR choice!

Nor anyone else who took up any occupation--no one told me I had to be an HVAC tech--but that's what I took up due to interest after doing body work wasn't my gig.....But I blamed no one for my decisions either.

Next,let's talk about your profession,you're a firefighter right?

In my county--all fire-fighters are volunteer----you caught that part,right?

These guys/gals have a passion to help others --all for free and on their own time--and they love doing it!!!

They will leave their day time job to run calls to help some one,on their own time,so I ask you a couple of questions....

Was Dave wrong about what he said about unions?-----I think not

Did you choose your job?...I do think so .

Do you have the "everybody owes me something" mentality...yes,you do

You have the union mentality which in today's world only does more harm than good.

Nobody owes you anything-get used to it-our parents had no problem pulling their own weight

Bottom line,you're trying stir things up that don't belong here.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i have said before i am a union carpenter. i'm not ashamed of it or saying it. i am ashamed a lot of the s h i t they pull though. the politics of it all. i was a volunteer fireman myself for 9 years. when i moved i never got involved with the local department. it got a little hard once i settled down, and got married. now i'm separated, but still don't know if i can find the time. my dad was a career fireman, and my mother still gets a fat pension of his which isn't so fat by todays standards, but by 1993 when he retireds standards. i think it's a little under $1700 gross, and a good health plan.

when i became union in 2002 it was great. times were good. i think between 2002-2008 my salary rose $10 bucks an hour through those years. been frozen since. i get all my health care paid after i put in the 600 hours, and if i'm not laid off for more than however many weeks it is i retain it completely. i was laid off from november 09 to february 10 went back to work on another job for 8 work days before i was laid off again. finally put back on in july of last year, and been steady since. was working 4 weeks a month until that job ended, and now i'm at 3 weeks a month. in 03-04 i spent 6 months laid off. aside from then, and 09-10 i never spent more than 6 weeks laid off.

i got my own company doing garage doors on the side, and it was great. during the time i was laid off in 03-04 i could work 25 hours a week, and still make as much as i did with the union working 40. now that i'm down to 3 weeks a month i don't care. i was working 4 weeks a month, and paying cobra up until october, and cobra costed more a month than one weeks salary. i still got my own thing on the side though business isn't as good. i used to install doors in new houses local contractors were building, but it has stalled, and now i just do service, and some installation. word of mouth of repeat customers. the unions need to back off sometimes. it's like in jersey with the teachers, and police. i feel bad for the ones who just wanna work, and don't need their guaranteed 4% raise a year just to do their job when the others, and the union cause a rift with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.