Corporal Punishment - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Corporal Punishment

I am the father of a 12 year old and a 6 year old. Spankings happen from time to time in this house. While I have never used a belt on my girls I have had one used on me. That being said to still have bruises 6 days later is a bit much. Like always the comments are better than the story. Let me hear your thoughts on the matter.

Bremerton man charged with assault after using belt to spank child Kitsap Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spare the rod spoil the child. I got my azz beat when I was little for doing something wrong or not doing what I was told to do. Now I never had bruises or anything like that though. It was usually a flyswatter. I have two boys and a girl. My oldest son knows what a belt is and my daughter knows what my hand is. I don't think there is anything wrong with a good spankin but some people beat their kids for no reason at all. Folks everyday take their anger and stress out on children. IMO CPS does'nt do enough. These people who beat their kids need a REALLY good azz whooping themselves.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Retired Coastie

I grew up getting spanked with either a belt, a flyswatter or a switch. I still think kids need to be disciplined at times, for the right reasons. When I see how some kids act today I feel that some need it lots more than others and have never felt a belt, or even a hand on their butt. Having said that, I never got bruised from my spankings. Maybe this guy hit the boy with the buckle?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 AM

I will say that 11 times with a belt is a little much. 1-3 is the most I will do. If he did use the buckle then I would say that is abuse.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Children have not changed...Adults have changed.

Spankings are fine and do what is intended...get the child's attention and teach them that there are consequences.

Taking away the X-Box doesn't always do the trick.

CPS has a fine line to navigate and in many instances goes the wrong way, while letting real child abusers go unpunished.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 AM

I got spanked a couple times when I was much younger but never with a belt that I remember. I'm 17 now and I think I've turned out well so far. First of all, the mothers boyfriend shouldn'thave layed a hand on the kid in the first place. second, to beat the kid with a belt leaving bruises for a week is abuse. a couple spanks with the hand, fine. beating with a belt, not fine.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was spanked for being a chit head when I was growing up but I wouldnt say I ever experianced anything to the line of excessive punishment. My dad had a belt and made sure I knew what it was for but verbally only. He never actually spanked me with it. I have turned out to be what I would consider and extreamly responcible person and I base my life on integrity and respect. I learned that from my dad.

As stated above, I dont think its the kids so much as the way people raise them now. There is no need or reason to "over punish" a child. I feel truly sorry for kids that are "forced" to grow up with parents that take thier frustrations and stresses out on them.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Runnin'wita2cylhandycap

Growing up, I was one of those kids that you just wanted to smack the ever-living ch!t out of,....maybe still to this day

Never the less, I can honestly tell you that I never got one I didn't deserve. Prolly needed a butt load more but he chose to throw my crap out in the front yard after having enuff of my crap.

This was a wake up call for me to prove myself and I've never looked back so to speak. We were mad at each other for a month or so and then things smoothed out but never when back home.

Ain't nothing wrong with whipping,...just depends on how hard-headed the kid is.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:33 AM

this is an interesting topic. i do not spank my son at all, but i'm not trying to tell anyone how to raise their children. thats just how i raise my son. he's gotten me aggravated very few times in 7.5 years that i have yelled loudly or raised my voice to him. my ex wife she may have spanked him on the butt a few times when he was small. a very gentle spank, but something to sternly get the point across to a small child. this was when he was a little younger.

growing up i did not get spanked regularly. my mother would spank us on the butt from time to time, and on the hand. this was maybe from the time before i turned about 10. there was one time my dad gave me a good smack on the face. i think i deserved more than that. i took his truck for a joyride when i was about 12 years old. just on the block, but still. i almost hit a phone pole, and he had gotten a ride to work that day. the guy dropped him off right as i was driving down the road, and i guess he looked up the road a little bit, and ran down to me. i had stopped the truck at this time already, and he came up, and gave me a good hit on the face. later on he apologized, and said his decision to smack me was out of the reaction of anger i caused him of taking his truck for a drive. he told me he would never hit me like that again, but that i better NEVER do anything like that again. i think my only brother who is 10 years older got hit once like that by my dad when he was upstairs in the crawl space attic smoking, and the floor caved in. he was about 13 at the time. i don't remember this, but it's always talked about. when my dad caught me smoking when i was quite a bit younger than that i remember he put my hand up to the stove when it was hot. they both smoked, and it was at that time that my mother quit smoking, and my dad didn't quit for a few more years. after that though i never smoked a cigarette again, and i never stole his truck again! when my brother got hit over that i think my dad was more pissed about the attic caving in than the fact he was smoking.

i did read the article, and i'm kinda puzzled. it brought up the boys father, and the one who hit him was the step father. i wanna say this right now. if i ever heard of my ex wifes partner hitting my son at all i would probably wanna beat the everloving **** out of him. i am not violent, and i didn't even feel like wanting to beat on him when he pursued a relationship with her, and was supposed to be my friend. if he did that to my son though then i would raise hell. and i don't think he would, but if he did all hell would break loose.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

There are multiple ways to discipline a child, spanking being one. I got spanked growing up. My mom was smaller and I got 10 swats from her, but only 3 from my Dad. Truthfully, I would much rather get a paddling from my Dad - 3 and out, take it to the bank.

I spanked my kids when they were growing up, but usually after other methods didn't work.

There is definitely a difference between discipline and abuse. I would say that guy was abusing that kid. For one, IMO, he shouldn't have been doing anything like that since they weren't his kids, he is only the Mom's boyfriend. I'm aware that is subjective and I am biased. (Daughter's ex-husband's girlfriend (long-story)) Since he isn't the parent, he should use the methods or defer it to the Mom. But, I do understand that abuse is abuse and he could have done it even using other the other methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.