Should illict drugs be made Legal in the US - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should illict drugs be made Legal in the US

Not far from my house here in Houston I pass by a apartment complex that houses folks that seem to have a thriving business selling drugs. It is easy to spot when you see a car stop and 3 to 4 people go running up to the car all at 1 time. Rain, shine, cold or gloom of night doesn't deter this street vendors or their patrons in their sales efforts.

Police raids and stepped up enforcement last a few weeks until the police leave and then it is back to business as usual. When the police do make an arrest it is for a very little amount and the seller goes thru the revolving door at the jail. Gets out the next day and is right back in the selling game. 1 case in Houston here cost the taxpayers almost $20,000 dollars in court costs and of course shrink costs for a woman who had a $10.00 rock on her. To me this seems absurd.

The old argument that if drugs are legalized the will be everywhere is BS too. Well, here is a news flash for the folks who believe this to be true, the illicit drugs are already there in your home town right now. The courts are back logged with BS drug cases, prisons are overflowing with convicts. So bad in fact, that the real scumbags that rape, murder, child molest are let out early because of the overcrowding in the jails. 80% of the people locked up in Federal prisons are in there for drugs. In Texas here, close to 75% of the people in the state lock up are there for drugs.

The younger generations have selling drugs as a viable option to make money instead of getting an education and going to work a real job. A whole sub cultural following has been formed in the country starting with the Bloods and Crips in LA that further propagate this non sense. With no sign of illicit drug activity letting up that must tell the common person most people that do illicit drugs don't go to jail and function in society for the most part.

We tried Prohibition with alcohol in the 30s and that was a complete failure. Gangs exploded with the money from people who wanted to drink alcohol and it seems we haven't learned anything from history. There was a story on the web a few weeks back saying that prisons were the saving grace for small broke towns here in the US. We can't build water pumps or most car parts here in the USA anymore but we sure can build prisons to house drug offenders. Lawyers, judges and bankers who wash the dirty drug money all want to see things stay the way they are right now. I have seen my rights slowly eroded away because of the war on drugs. The war on drugs is a complete failure IMO and can never be won.

Then you can add the leagl drug dealers into the mix. Houston is 1 of the largest bogus prescripition drug towns in the country. I guess if you go to college and get a education you aren't really a drug dealer by writting BS scripts to folks who don't need the drugs. Should these doctors go to jail also for drug dealing. I haven't seen a case yet where this has happened.

Records: Harris County docs write the most prescriptions for 'heroin high' drug combo | khou.com | KHOU.com Home Page

Southeast Texas called 'mecca' for pill abusers | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I am sure there will be some Forum members who disagree with me on this. But for those that do, I will ask 1 simple question for them to answer. Is the system we now have in place viable, with no graft to the folks on top? Cali at this moment will be spending more on their prison system then their educational system, does this seem right to anyone? The Justice system was never supposed to be a money maker for local, state and Fed govs. It has turned into that and I am 1 person who thinks this should change. I will now get down off the and have the flame suit on for the Forums comments on this post

Last edited by Houstonvett; 01-15-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am completely against illegal drugs. With that being said, I have finally come to the realization that in order to actually rid our Country, Mexico and all the other Countries of the heinous crimes that stem from the illegal drug market...legalization is the only option.

The gangs have infiltrated every known law enforcement organization in Mexico; and here in the US the "War on Drugs" is a farce and the cost far outweighs the benefits we receive from fighting it.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonvett View Post
1 case in Houston here cost the taxpayers almost $20,000 dollars in court costs and of course shrink costs for a woman who had a $10.00 rock on her. To me this seems absurd.

The old argument that if drugs are legalized the will be everywhere is BS too. Well, here is a news flash for the folks who believe this to be true, the illicit drugs are already there in your home town right now. The courts are back logged with BS drug cases, prisons are overflowing with convicts. So bad in fact, that the real scumbags that rape, murder, child molest are let out early because of the overcrowding in the jails. 80% of the people locked up in Federal prisons are in there for drugs. In Texas here, close to 75% of the people in the state lock up are there for drugs.

Then you can add the leagl drug dealers into the mix. Houston is 1 of the largest bogus prescripition drug towns in the country. I guess if you go to college and get a education you aren't really a drug dealer by writting BS scripts to folks who don't need the drugs. Should these doctors go to jail also for drug dealing. I haven't seen a case yet where this has happened.

Records: Harris County docs write the most prescriptions for 'heroin high' drug combo | khou.com | KHOU.com Home Page

Southeast Texas called 'mecca' for pill abusers | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I am sure there will be some Forum members who disagree with me on this. But for those that do, I will ask 1 simple question for them to answer. Is the system we now have in place viable, with no graft to the folks on top? Cali at this moment will be spending more on their prison system then their educational system, does this seem right to anyone? The Justice system was never supposed to be a money maker for local, state and Fed govs. It has turned into that and I am 1 person who thinks this should change. I will now get down off the and have the flame suit on for the Forums comments on this post
We could just shoot/hang em... all of em... Overpopulation of prisons/taxpayer spending/ etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, solved... There is a lot more to this statement, but to remain mostly on topic, I will leave out the details of my "dream system".....
Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If you can make an accurate field sobriety test for them and set up laws similar to DWI alcohol laws then fine.

Illegal or otherwise drugs are job security for guys like me
Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 PM

If there's a good way to implement it, then maybe. Dave brought up a good point.

This topic was discussed on Stossel last week and Ann Coulter gave a good view on it. If we want to make some of these drugs legal, we first have to eliminate the nanny state, because there are a lot of people who would do nothing but sit around and do these drugs, with no threat of trouble and be able to sap up government handouts.

We get rid of the nanny state, sure, people can make the choice to ruin their lives with drugs.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

To the OP: Which part of Houston do you live?? I live in the Houston area too and pass thru these area sometimes and this and it boggles my mind at where the cops at at when you need 'em.

With that being said, I am against them becoming legal because then they will be every where and available to everyone.

But: Let take a minute to say they do legalize drugs, then the federal and state government will want to tax these same drugs to shore up all the deficits that they are running right now. Because they will tax them probably close to the same % they do cigarettes, these same dealers will still be there dealing because they will still smuggle them in and sell them at a discount to what you could get them legally.

So, the problem will always be there plus the fact that it would take the federal and state governments YEARS to pass legislation to make it legal.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
part of me wants to say yes and part wants to say no

yes you tax them you spend less on fighting the war on drugs and less on people in prison, but the drugs are more available and everyone can get them. they become more common place and I DON'T think that is a good thing.

have the legislation something like drinking and it NEEDS to be enforced.

As for the Nanny state comment I think welfare is a decent idea but implementation sucks there needs to be a drug test before you get you welfare check and put a max amount on it X $ a yr for X # of yrs and then no more.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Hmm,that's really a tough call.

From what I see when I work in the hood and people I talk to,I don't really know if legalization would work or not.

For example,yes,it would drop the price of these drugs now that are illegal,,,but the FED will want it's cut too.

Yes,it would cut into king pin's pocket as well,thus,causing their profits to majorly drop in sales,due to these taxes.

That being said,after seeing what I see and hearing directly from those there,If legalized,they will just boost up production,lace it with something else,and sell under the table,thus,never stopping what the gov't tries to stop.

Bottom line,the gov't doesn't really want to stop all this trafficking,it is costly beyond belief,not only monetary ,but also with lives to be lost.(cops ! )

The local govt's have no money to do this,any cop who tries to stop drug lords gets killed-period. Seen this many times.

The local gov's could stop the problem,but they won't-this provides easy money to them from the Feds to fight it as little as possible.

So,will it be better or not,it's all a matter of opinion until true facts are presented of outcome from both attempts.

Here's how I see it,do what ever you want to do...................just don't involve it with work,driving,or in a bad family environment.

If you choose to do that,that's your choice---but don't bring others who want nothing to do with it into your problem
Old 01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
there are some interesting points of view here. i agree the system is corrupt but i also agree that if the drugs are made legal they will be more available to all who want them. at the same time the revenue from taxes could help fund schools. AWESOME, drug money for schools! if they were legalized, there would have to be laws in place to control it like alcohol.

last but not least. if we actually controlled the mexican border the drug war would be completely different
Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.34ever View Post
there are some interesting points of view here. i agree the system is corrupt but i also agree that if the drugs are made legal they will be more available to all who want them. at the same time the revenue from taxes could help fund schools. AWESOME, drug money for schools! if they were legalized, there would have to be laws in place to control it like alcohol.

last but not least. if we actually controlled the mexican border the drug war would be completely different
"If they would seal the border"

That's a huge problem,even though they say it's fine,nothing to worry about----but,I think we all have a better chance of getting pregnant than that ever happening with this gov't

Napolitano----what a perfect excuse for birth control!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.