National Guard in the middle east? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
National Guard in the middle east?

I would've posted this in the military section, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic over there.

I'm unclear as to why the Army National Guard is deployed in the middle east. I thought the whole concept behind the ARNG was to be a "citizen soldier", militia, minutemen, etc. So why are they being deployed overseas?

I was always taught the ARNG would be there after hurricanes to help injured people. During riots to suppress them, protect peoples property, and help the inured. And in the unlikely case of an attack on US soil, to be the first response while the other branches organize. Not to be deployed into battlefields across the world to fight amongst regular soldiers. If i wanted to do that I'd join the Army. What i want is to help American Citizens in times of need.

After graduation I'm pretty set on joining the ARNG as a 68W because i already have my EMT-B cert and that's where i think i could do the most good. I'm not opposed of being sent over seas, I just don't understand why they would send the ARNG, and not just the Army.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

total force concept
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Thats the way it used to be actually until after Katrina. The federal Government took control of the NG from the state governors
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos30 View Post
total force concept
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thats the way it used to be actually until after Katrina. The federal Government took control of the NG from the state governors
So....when is it going back to normal? After the wars in the middle east?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
probably never. This was one of Bush's great **** ups. Instead of leaving the NG to guard the nation. He sent them all over seas. Well then we have no one here, so we start up the department of homeland security and hire a bunch of inbred idiots to run it. then we wonder why we're in so much debt? Out of control spending on dumb **** we dont need!?!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Actually it is designed soley to provide relief to active military personnel having to deploy for 14 months come home spend 5 months home and then redploy for and additional 14 months, would be a never ending cycle. Term is known as dwell or planners refer to it a white space. Who knows when it will return to normal, I would love to say the world is free of all radicals who want to do us (Americans) harm, but it's not. I highly encourage you to march forward with your plans, if your unit is chosen to deploy, you will hopefully have great memories to tell your grand kids one day. Hopefully this helps you understand...
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Emergency Services

Well that sucks. I don't want to enlist if there's a chance I'd go to the sandbox. But i want to enlist if it means i can help Texans during emergencies.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

dont enlist then because you will go
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can "help" your fellow Texans by killing the terrorists over there - before the jihadis manage to kill your friends and family members over here.

Regarding the ARMY National Guard (or AIR National Guard, for that matter), they serve a dual mission. They can be called to active duty by a state's governor for a 'local' emergency (flood, etc.) or some type of disaster; but also by the President in the event of something more pressing or involving a need at the federal level.

Army Reserve members can only be called out by the federal government, and not governors of each state. Members of either service, however, can be called to indefinite active duty if the need arises. The days of "one weekend a month and two weeks every summer" (as it was when I was in the reserves) could be gone forever.

With the reduction in "total strength" versus "authorized strength" that has occurred in the past 20 years or so, the reserve components have had to pick up the slack. Regular Army (RA) units do - from time to time - need a break in their deployments and they also need help from reserve component troops for combat, combat support and combat service support duties.

Kudos to anyone out there who wears the uniform of our country - and to those who have worn it in the past!!

Last edited by JK23112; 12-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter04 View Post
I would've posted this in the military section, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic over there.

I'm unclear as to why the Army National Guard is deployed in the middle east. I thought the whole concept behind the ARNG was to be a "citizen soldier", militia, minutemen, etc. So why are they being deployed overseas?

I was always taught the ARNG would be there after hurricanes to help injured people. During riots to suppress them, protect peoples property, and help the inured. And in the unlikely case of an attack on US soil, to be the first response while the other branches organize. Not to be deployed into battlefields across the world to fight amongst regular soldiers. If i wanted to do that I'd join the Army. What i want is to help American Citizens in times of need.

After graduation I'm pretty set on joining the ARNG as a 68W because i already have my EMT-B cert and that's where i think i could do the most good. I'm not opposed of being sent over seas, I just don't understand why they would send the ARNG, and not just the Army.

Any insight?
This is nothing new. The Guard and Reserves have always deployed overseas. They play a dual role for the states and federal gov't. The Guard is the only part of the military that can be deployed inside the U.S. to help with domestic issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The state gov't have control until the federal gov't needs assistance then the guard goes under federal control. It is based on what type of orders we are put on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFocus View Post
probably never. This was one of Bush's great **** ups. Instead of leaving the NG to guard the nation. He sent them all over seas. Well then we have no one here, so we start up the department of homeland security and hire a bunch of inbred idiots to run it. then we wonder why we're in so much debt? Out of control spending on dumb **** we dont need!?!
You have no clue on this. By sending the NG it relieved the active units to have dwell time at home. And this out of control spending as you call it has saved peoples lives more than you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny_990 View Post
Actually it is designed soley to provide relief to active military personnel having to deploy for 14 months come home spend 5 months home and then redploy for and additional 14 months, would be a never ending cycle. Term is known as dwell or planners refer to it a white space. Who knows when it will return to normal, I would love to say the world is free of all radicals who want to do us (Americans) harm, but it's not. I highly encourage you to march forward with your plans, if your unit is chosen to deploy, you will hopefully have great memories to tell your grand kids one day. Hopefully this helps you understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter04 View Post
?

So....when is it going back to normal? After the wars in the middle east?
There is no normal. Everything is based on global operations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.