Firefighters Let Home Burn - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Firefighters Let Home Burn

Firefighters Let Home Burn Because Owner Didn’t Pay $75 | The Blaze

I have two conflicting thoughts on this. What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
I will guarantee you that there is alot more to this then what is being reported/

Alot more.

How long did they let it burn before they called 911 for one. If it was fully engulfed and the neighbors property is viable. Of course the FD is gonna protect the neighbors property first.

If the story however is accurate which is unlikely. That particular city better have a good attorney on retainer
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I agree with Dave, there has to be more to the story. I ask this though, Why the hell didn't they just pay the $75 in the first place?!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Emergency Services

Most of the departments around here, including the one I'm on, are tax based. BUT, we do have a few dues based departments still around and they have before let houses burn as long as no one is in harms way because the owner didn't pay dues. Insurance will not cover firefighters that are fighting a fire at a non-payed residence. Thats a HUGE liability for the department. SOmetimes they will risk themselves and the department and put the fire out and then bill the owner of the property, but 99% of the time they don't get the money or they get sued for not putting the fire out once they've started fighting it by non dues paying owners.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman306 View Post
Most of the departments around here, including the one I'm on, are tax based. BUT, we do have a few dues based departments still around and they have before let houses burn as long as no one is in harms way because the owner didn't pay dues. Insurance will not cover firefighters that are fighting a fire at a non-payed residence. Thats a HUGE liability for the department. SOmetimes they will risk themselves and the department and put the fire out and then bill the owner of the property, but 99% of the time they don't get the money or they get sued for not putting the fire out once they've started fighting it by non dues paying owners.
Double check your depts insurance odds are about 100% that it will cover you at a non paid residence.

And even if they didnt the property owners insurance would cover you and any billing set forth by the dept
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Double check your depts insurance odds are about 100% that it will cover you at a non paid residence.

And even if they didnt the property owners insurance would cover you and any billing set forth by the dept
We're tax based so we put out everything. I know of a local dues based department that got in a bunch of trouble for putting out the fire of a non-paid member and thats what started the "we won't touch it" or " pay us first" issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

On one hand, $75 is cheap insurance for the fire fighters to, at least, save part of your house.

OTOH, Without knowing the whole story, it does come off a bit cold-hearted to standby and let someone's house burn down.

If this happens too many more times, I'll bet ya there will be a change to the fee structure.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

75$ is cheap, in my fire dist. its a fire tax is its always somewheres round 275$. we dont know who pays and who doesn't. I can see insurance being a factor for the firefighters. they may not be covered doing something they shouldn't be doing
Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Not knowing the whole story....I agree with the Fire Department as long as the fire policy/tax was known to the citizens and this article indicates the tax was known and not paid. Its not much different than someone letting their truck insurance expire and when they get into an accident after the cancellation letters were sent saying they "forgot" to pay their bill or they were going to pay it on the next paycheck and then crying because the insurance company wont cover the claim. (Please assume you had a reputable insurance company) We have a responsibility as Americans to do the right thing, I know its harsh but life is tough.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Ok I just got the low down on this.

The news station is full of chit.

The homeowner didnt call 911 right away. He assumed they wouldnt put it out because he didnt pay the fee. He proceeded to attempt to put it out with a garden hose for two hours before calling.

When he did call the dept responded immediately. However they protected the viable property next door since it was begining to burn. because of the other homeowners negligence.

Cranick also physically assualted the fire cheif for doing so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.