what has this world come to? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
what has this world come to?

The Associated Press

ATLANTA —
A Muslim woman is claiming in a federal lawsuit that she was dismissed from the Atlanta Police Department's civilian honor guard because she refused to remove her traditional headscarf.

Helen Lane says in a federal lawsuit filed this week that the head of the voluntary guard laughed at her when she told him she would wear her hijab at a September 2006 funeral. She said she felt "humiliated, hurt and was traumatized" by the laughter.

Lane, who is seeking $250,000 in damages, said she was told by another Atlanta official that "the hijab was like a swastika."

Really? when did we (as Americans) have to give into this? If i remember this is America not some other country. We should stand up and not let this happen. what do they do to US over there when we show our a$$ and try to make a stand????

Last edited by rjwareagle; 12-29-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think that is absolutlely ridiculous..........you know some lib judge will give her the quarter mil......this turns my stomach, PC BS..........
Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM

What's sad is the headscarf thing is all about control of women.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM

I may be out on a limb on this, but it's part of the Muslim way of weaking our government and laws to let them do whatever they want. Then when they attack, it's too late.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM

hey star driver, i met you at the cracker barrel in tifton one afternoon!!! this is crazy right? people have gone crazy
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
They are protected by the Constitution of the United States 1st Ammendment. Freedom of speech and religious Beliefs. Being the hijab is part of the muslim religion for women. They are protected and have the right to wear it.

Trust me I deal with this stuff at work daily.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 PM

yea i understand, but it just isnt right after what we have been through. it seems that so many people are getting away with more outrageous things now.... and they are not even Americans.....
Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to excursionMark
she shouldnt have been asked to leave or take her hijab off , she is protected by the first amendment ... but i do agree that the money is absolutely ridiculous i cant believe she is filing federal
Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Infidel

Hmmm it's her constitutional right to wear the hijab? But she is a government official and I feel that the whole seperation of church and state thing is being violated (doesn't matter that it isn't in the Constitution) because by her wearing the hijab is our government endorsing islam and I am offended by this. In fact I am going to sue because my feeling are hurt.

Oops....she might not win after all:
Uniforms, Clothing and Equipment

Third Circuit upholds the Philadelphia Police Dept. ban on scarves and other religious headgear. Prohibiting all religious symbols and attire, helps prevent any divisiveness when officers encounter a diverse population. Webb v. City of Philadelphia, #07-3081, 2009 U.S. App. Lexis 7169, 105 FEP Cases (BNA) 1665 (3rd Cir.).

But wait, now I am unsure again

Federal court holds that a county violated an employee's rights by firing her for repeatedly wearing a cross pendant. Daniels v. City of Arlington, #00-11191, 246 F.3d 500 (5th Cir.) not followed. Draper v. Logan County Library, #1:02CV-13 (W.D.Ky. 2003). [2003 FP Nov]
In a companion decision to Endres v. Indiana State Police, (See Religious Discrimination), a three-judge panel upheld a disparate treatment complaint filed by an Islamic female public employee who was told she could not wear a geles (headwrap) at work. Holmes v. Marion County, #02-1377, 2003 U.S. App. Lexis 13027 (7th Cir. 2003). {N/R}

Hold on, hold on, she should lose:
Justices refuse to set aside the termination of a police officer who insisted on wearing a cross on his uniform. Daniels v. City of Arlington, #01-187, 2001 U.S. Lexis 9494 (Oct. 9, 2001) affirming 246 F.3d 500, 2001 U.S. App. Lexis 6018 (5th Cir.). [2001 FP 173]

Tink, tink, tink,.................that's the sound of the foundation of our country being chisled away, by one unhappy group after another.

Craig
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to excursionMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasR.N. View Post
Hmmm it's her constitutional right to wear the hijab? But she is a government official and I feel that the whole seperation of church and state thing is being violated (doesn't matter that it isn't in the Constitution) because by her wearing the hijab is our government endorsing islam and I am offended by this. In fact I am going to sue because my feeling are hurt.

Oops....she might not win after all:
Uniforms, Clothing and Equipment

Third Circuit upholds the Philadelphia Police Dept. ban on scarves and other religious headgear. Prohibiting all religious symbols and attire, helps prevent any divisiveness when officers encounter a diverse population. Webb v. City of Philadelphia, #07-3081, 2009 U.S. App. Lexis 7169, 105 FEP Cases (BNA) 1665 (3rd Cir.).

But wait, now I am unsure again

Federal court holds that a county violated an employee's rights by firing her for repeatedly wearing a cross pendant. Daniels v. City of Arlington, #00-11191, 246 F.3d 500 (5th Cir.) not followed. Draper v. Logan County Library, #1:02CV-13 (W.D.Ky. 2003). [2003 FP Nov]
In a companion decision to Endres v. Indiana State Police, (See Religious Discrimination), a three-judge panel upheld a disparate treatment complaint filed by an Islamic female public employee who was told she could not wear a geles (headwrap) at work. Holmes v. Marion County, #02-1377, 2003 U.S. App. Lexis 13027 (7th Cir. 2003). {N/R}

Hold on, hold on, she should lose:
Justices refuse to set aside the termination of a police officer who insisted on wearing a cross on his uniform. Daniels v. City of Arlington, #01-187, 2001 U.S. Lexis 9494 (Oct. 9, 2001) affirming 246 F.3d 500, 2001 U.S. App. Lexis 6018 (5th Cir.). [2001 FP 173]

Tink, tink, tink,.................that's the sound of the foundation of our country being chisled away, by one unhappy group after another.

Craig
i didnt see that she was a gov't official ... if that is the case you are correct most places do have uniform policies so she would be in violation by wearing her hijab ... but if she was just a citizen then she does have some justification ... not $250000 worth imo but thatll be left up to the judge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.