Troops on Food Stamps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 AM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Troops on Food Stamps

While I agree with what they say in this article about living in housing being a contributor to the problem, the last line is what chaps my azz.

"Congress is currently investigating the possibility of increasing benefits to certain troops so they would not be able to qualify for food stamps."

Basically give them just enough of a boost so they don't qualify. That way they can say look we don't underpay the Military for what they do. Trust me I am not saying that I make bad money, but I also remember what it was like being a married E-4 and trying to live off of just my income.

More Troops Relying on Food Stamps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
It'll buff out!

Send a message via Yahoo to TuRBoWHiNe
Wow, I can get food stamps?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

I know nothing about military pay, except that it ain't enough.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i feel the miliary is WAYYYYYYY underpaid, i remember what it was like as an E-4, it sucked.. when my sone was born we qualified for WIC and food stamps, but only used WIC.. i guess the pride set in and i didnt want to use that part of it.. My wife ended up getting a rinky dink job at the food court at Luke and Mountain Home, that didnt last long, she hated it.. so she started her own in home daycare.. then it was like CHA CHING!! that was great money for her..

Anyway, back to the whole " lets give them enough to not qualify, but not enough to survive on" issue.. it pisses me off to see that the military is struggling in most cases.. even as a new guy to the military, you shuldnt have to struggle, and the Gov't shouldnt make things worse... like they are now.. they cut the F-22 program, we arent getting anymore.. its a bad idea to cut out defense systems to pay for the " New healthcare system".. I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to cut all VA programs too.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ya i am an E-5 in the marines right now and i am really lucky that my wife makes good money and we live on base becasue if we didn't or she didn't work we would be hurting right now with the birth of my little girl a few weeks ago....
Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
It'll buff out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyOne View Post
ya i am an E-5 in the marines right now and i am really lucky that my wife makes good money and we live on base becasue if we didn't or she didn't work we would be hurting right now with the birth of my little girl a few weeks ago....
Dude, Sgt here living off base, wife doesn't work, 20 month old boy and a kid on the way. I'd be allright if I'd quit spending money on ATV's and stupid crap like that...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The goal is to all but get rid of the military, because if we disarm, everyone else will disarm and the whole world will be at peace.

If you don't pay the troops, they won't enlist, making it easier to scale down the military.

Its a theory...

Truthfully, it is sad how much some military makes. It is even more sad at how much congress keeps cutting the budget back on important projects like the F-22 and our nuke arsenal. Yes, the military has waste in their budget, but this isnt the way to control it. (Truth be told, ALL gov't has or is waste. We just need to get it under wraps) And....I dont know the pay scales, but I would imagine some folks in the miliitary, and every other sector as well, have piss-poor money management skills leading to some of these problems.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:54 AM

raising their pay just enough to not qualify for foodstamps is just sick. Raise pay enough to let them live comfortably, instead of spending it on ****ing health care reform. I WOULD GLADLY PAY HIGHER TAXES TO TAKE CARE OF OUR SOLDIERS, AND TO ENSURE OUR SAFETY. If we ain't safe, everything else is trivial IMHO.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM

i was an e-4, married and lived on post. i had no kids, so i cant really comment on that part. it was alright livin, my wife had a rinky dink job, but she liked it. it was workin on the recreation rifle range. since it was on post i never really got to see the money that was given to me for housing. i can agree that the military is way underpayed, but you also have to remember free housing, food, clothing, etc. you usually live within walking distance of your work. plus when your overseas you get more, and when in a war zone you get combat pay, or hazardous duty pay. go somewhere else for say a funeral, you get tdy. not trying to add salt to the wound, but if you cant afford to feed a child, dont have one.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
It'll buff out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorybellows View Post
i was an e-4, married and lived on post. i had no kids, so i cant really comment on that part. it was alright livin, my wife had a rinky dink job, but she liked it. it was workin on the recreation rifle range. since it was on post i never really got to see the money that was given to me for housing. i can agree that the military is way underpayed, but you also have to remember free housing, food, clothing, etc. you usually live within walking distance of your work. plus when your overseas you get more, and when in a war zone you get combat pay, or hazardous duty pay. go somewhere else for say a funeral, you get tdy. not trying to add salt to the wound, but if you cant afford to feed a child, dont have one.
Or sell your PSD, etc etc.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.