Safely buying truck with lien on the title? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Safely buying truck with lien on the title?

I'm looking into buying an '05 F250 but the title still has a lien on it from the loan the buyer took out when he purchased it. I've never bought a used vehicle before where the seller didn't have the title in-hand so I'm a little leary and trying to figure out the least risky way to proceed.

--------------
Wire the money from bank to the Lien holder (Ford's Financing group) for the full amount of vehicle sale. Payment overage will be refunded to directly to seller. (think it would be better to just pay lien amount then give rest on title transfer day?)

When wiring the money, get signed and notarized bill of sale stating I paid off the vehicle and am the vehicle owner, but not financially responsible for it or insurance until title transfer is completed. Probably could only say I'm the owner if I wired full purchase price to lien holder)

Within 24 to 48 hours, lien holder will fax a lien release form to the vehicle owner. Seller must contact buyer immediately upon receipt of lien release fax.

Buyer and Seller go to Harrisburg with the lien release letter and get the title.

Seller signs over the title at Harrisburg and buyer registers the vehicle at the same time.
Seller must keep full insurance on vehicle unit the title transfer is completed.

Will ask seller about parking the truck in my driveway once the money is wired to lien holder. I could then park a vehicle or 3 in front of truck to prevent its easy removal by seller and I wouldn't have keys to drive the truck myself.
------------
There is no local bank involved on the seller's side since it was financed through Ford.
Going to Harrisburg can save ~10 days it might take for the state to send the title to the owner and isn't too terribly far away.

Has anyone heard that if I can show sales tax was already paid on the vehicle in PA when it was new, that I wouldn't need to pay tax again? I spoke to two different people at the DMV in Harrisburg, one told me I would need to pay sales tax on purchase price, the other one said I wouldn't need to if I can prove through a bill of sale that tax was already paid on it. I've never heard this before but thought I'd see if anyone else heard that. Called a local tag place and they said I will have to pay sales tax.

Truck I'm looking about I posted here for opinions:
Questions about truck I'm looking at buying
clean oasis and carfax reports.

thanks!
Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM

What i would recommend would be to call the lien holder and find out how they want it done. My guess you will probably send money to the lien-holder for what he owes and then get the release and pay him the remainder of the amount. It will probably end up being a mix of all of your scenarios. Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas157 View Post
I'm looking into buying an '05 F250 but the title still has a lien on it from the loan the buyer took out when he purchased it. I've never bought a used vehicle before where the seller didn't have the title in-hand so I'm a little leary and trying to figure out the least risky way to proceed.

--------------
Wire the money from bank to the Lien holder (Ford's Financing group) for the full amount of vehicle sale. Payment overage will be refunded to directly to seller. (think it would be better to just pay lien amount then give rest on title transfer day?)

When wiring the money, get signed and notarized bill of sale stating I paid off the vehicle and am the vehicle owner, but not financially responsible for it or insurance until title transfer is completed. Probably could only say I'm the owner if I wired full purchase price to lien holder)

Within 24 to 48 hours, lien holder will fax a lien release form to the vehicle owner. Seller must contact buyer immediately upon receipt of lien release fax.

Buyer and Seller go to Harrisburg with the lien release letter and get the title.

Seller signs over the title at Harrisburg and buyer registers the vehicle at the same time.
Seller must keep full insurance on vehicle unit the title transfer is completed.

Will ask seller about parking the truck in my driveway once the money is wired to lien holder. I could then park a vehicle or 3 in front of truck to prevent its easy removal by seller and I wouldn't have keys to drive the truck myself.
------------
There is no local bank involved on the seller's side since it was financed through Ford.
Going to Harrisburg can save ~10 days it might take for the state to send the title to the owner and isn't too terribly far away.

Has anyone heard that if I can show sales tax was already paid on the vehicle in PA when it was new, that I wouldn't need to pay tax again? I spoke to two different people at the DMV in Harrisburg, one told me I would need to pay sales tax on purchase price, the other one said I wouldn't need to if I can prove through a bill of sale that tax was already paid on it. I've never heard this before but thought I'd see if anyone else heard that. Called a local tag place and they said I will have to pay sales tax.

Truck I'm looking about I posted here for opinions:
Questions about truck I'm looking at buying
clean oasis and carfax reports.

thanks!
Bruce
You will have to pay tax on the truck. The tax will be figured out on the NADA book price of the truck. If you paid less than what the book price is on the truck,there is a nother form that you will need to fill out stating why you paid less than what the truck books for. On that form you will put in the amount that you paid for it and you both will have to sign the form and they will notarize it. I can't remember off the top of my head what form # it is,but they should know. I would put insurance on the truck in your name before you start any of this,you have to have the insurance to get it registered anyways. Is this a straight cash deal on your end or are you using a bank to get the money for the truck?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
if there is still a lein on the truck your bank will have to deal with the other bank, they will most likely need a 10 day pay-off amount then they can figure out what amount to pay the owners bank. i believe the banks will deal with all of the title stuff. mine did but im not sure how your bank works. if this inst the case then i would take the money to his bank with him and do business together at his bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.