Visual emissions checks for PA? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Visual emissions checks for PA?

I know PA doesn't entail emissions inspections for diesels but my question is if there are still regulations that require you to have a Cat/Muffler present in order to pass. Also the same question for an EGR. Just trying to figure out if I can legally do an EGR delete and straight pipe. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That kind of stuff is EPA regulated regardless of stuff, so it would be technically illegal to remove the EGR, not sure on the cat. Probably the same. Muffler is per state.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine does not have a cat and I passed inspection without question.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF985 View Post
Mine does not have a cat and I passed inspection without question.
Sweet! That's what I was hoping because I really want to straight pipe the truck. Didn't think it was an issue with all the diesels with stacks I see running around York, PA.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yea you shouldn't have any issue at all. If they give you crap take it to Raber's Automotive up in Mechanicsburg. They are who I went to. Really awesome guys and it's a performance shop too but not for diesels.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In PA, it really depends on the shop doing the inspection. Some shops can be real anal, some just look the other way.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
In PA, it really depends on the shop doing the inspection. Some shops can be real anal, some just look the other way.
My pops lives in PA, langhorne... i cant get over the BS they have him repair when he takes his cars for inspection... the latest just blew me away.

We have an 07 F250 with a 5.4L, high miles, has the pass manifold tap/leak.. damn all the 5.4s get it eventually. Those mofos actually made him get it repaired because it was "an emissions leak" and they would not pass his 2006 F150 5.4L 3v with 70k miles on it 6 months ago... so he paid . cough... $1k+ to have it replaced... so im thinking, thats not terrible, thats just ONE SIDE!

They recommended he get the other replaced before next year because its got a slow leak/tap too.. fawkers, i said by next year, the replacement pass side manifold will be leaking/tapping again, its a defect in the manifolds :/

Been trying to talk him into a new/newer F250 diesel because he's selling us the 06 f150 we already use for snow and he sold his 21ft ~4500lb boat for a 22 or 23 footer thats closer to 6k+ and a diesel superduty will tow it like nothing compared to the f150... plus in 3-5 years, ill have another superduty in the garage!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirfreak98ss View Post
My pops lives in PA, langhorne... i cant get over the BS they have him repair when he takes his cars for inspection... the latest just blew me away.

We have an 07 F250 with a 5.4L, high miles, has the pass manifold tap/leak.. damn all the 5.4s get it eventually. Those mofos actually made him get it repaired because it was "an emissions leak" and they would not pass his 2006 F150 5.4L 3v with 70k miles on it 6 months ago... so he paid . cough... $1k+ to have it replaced... so im thinking, thats not terrible, thats just ONE SIDE!

They recommended he get the other replaced before next year because its got a slow leak/tap too.. fawkers, i said by next year, the replacement pass side manifold will be leaking/tapping again, its a defect in the manifolds :/

!
damn i live over in Levittown

and im a PA emissions inspector. the reason why you had to replace that leak is because its before the cat and the NOx, CO and hydrocarbons arent being treated and broken down which adds to emissions which will cause the truck to fail inspection.

also when you hear an exhaust leak you are hearing half the leak the exhaust pushes exhaust out then when you dont hear it its sucking air in which will throw off O2 sensor readings (the extra oxygen in the exhaust gives the O2 sensor a false high oxygen reading which will make the truck run more rich)

also diesel guys can remove their EGR's if they wont throw a check engine light. if you have a modern OBDII system the inspector cant and wont check to see if its there since the OBII monitors take care of that and since diesels are never inspected for emissions anyway theres no need to worry.

and not to even worry in PA because your diesel truck will be immediately passed over for emissions anyway since they are exempt from the emissions so all you need is a safety sticker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.