Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Hewitt / Powerstrokehelp.com

136K views 102 replies 40 participants last post by  GregWork 
#1 ·
I've been watching his videos on youtube for quite some time. I'll be coming from East Tennessee to have him bulletproof my 6.0.

Anybody been to his place to have him work on your rig? Any feedback you would like to offer would be appreciated...

#7 ·
I Had a GREAT Experience with Powerstroke Specialties

I am only now hearing something negative about that shop. I had them overhaul my '03 Excursion with a 6.0. The work he did was done right, on time and dead-on price wise. My experience with him was great.

When I went to his shop he drove the truck with me then took me around and showed me his operation. Since I am a trained mechanic and a degreed aviation electrician I was really curious about his practices and philosophy about the work he was doing. Basically, I was probing to figure out if he was a shade-tree mechanic with lots of ideas but nothing to back it up or was he knowledgeable. He set my mind at ease, we agreed on the work and he delivered it. My only quibble was it was expensive but I feel like it was very much worth it.

Since I don't know the specifics of what people don't like other than the suggestion Bill has a screw loose, it sounds to me more like personality. In the face of that I will say this after having met the man, Bill is passionate about Powerstroke Diesels and everything we discussed rang true and accurate. He is aggressive and persuasive but that is just who he is. It aint braggin' if you can actually do it.

I would recommend Bill and Powerstroke Specialties to anyone.

Nick Robinson
"Reverie"

#8 ·
I wouldnt let Bill Hewitt work on a lawn mower:doh:

#9 ·
I'm not questioning your opinion. I just wanted some specifics that would explain your position. If you can't back up your opinion and you say something like that, all you are accomplishing is character assassination. Did he screw something up on your truck or someone you know? Did he cheat you? Did he run over your dog?

Reverie

#10 ·
Find his free youtube videos. Watch them. Then you will understand where im coming from.

Heres an example. The guy promotes changing the HPOP oil in a 7.3. He musta forgot one little factor though. You change it everytime you change the oil in the truck anyway.

But he wants you to do it seperately:hehe:

#15 ·
I agree, there are better and more popular shops in the area to choose from, i would just check with all of them with a dollar $$$ figure and then make a decision

#16 ·
Hes been open for several years, that oughta say something.

Stealerships all over the country try to sell "maintenence packages" and charge thousands for them when all they include is wiper and oil changes and you're complaining cause he wants to change the hpop oil? Yes its a bit nutso, but is it really that far out of line considering what other shops do daily? Have you ever been to a jiffy lube?

I'm not saying I'm taking my truck there, I do most my own work, but if he was completely crazy, I'm sure he would have been closed down years ago...

Hell, hes one of the guys who got me wanting a 7.3 even more, before I got on here and saw all the negativity towards him. I found his videos on youtube and they made me think "yeah, I can do all that" and I have (aside from the hpop oil change, that is a bit overkill)

Besides that, I don't really see much that he does thats crazy. Changing tranny fluid? no. adding exhaust, no. changing front end, no. get gas out of your diesel fuel tanks, no....

#17 ·
he has a vid about changing front ends?

would that happen to be our bodystyle to the 05-07??????? that would be another vid ill use soon!

#19 ·
WOW! I will be using it very soon! Got a link?

Where is his shop at?
Somewhere in georgia isnt it?

#23 ·
Isn't this the guy who was bragging about his shop truck having like 750,000 miles but he bought the truck with 700,000 miles on it?

#25 ·
He blew the motor close to 800k if i remember.

You got to see all the mods he had done ha
propane, nitrous, tunes, MORE PROPANE, and MORE NITROUS

he was pushing a solid 900+lbtq and ran the truck balls to the wall all the time and it was on the dyno like once a week

#27 ·
Ya his video's are wierd, but I think that's just his personality IMHO.

I believe he is just throwing out what he's learned over the years to us the general public to help our trucks run longer.

I don't live that far from his shop, but I'd be intersted in the locations of some other Powerstroke shops here in NE Georgia:nod:

#28 ·
They guy thinks PMRs are just as strong as forged rods. Whats that tell ya:doh:

His stock stuff is ok at best. But propane and nitrous combos:hehe::hehe::hehe:

#29 ·
Your Results May Vary

All of this proves my point. I watched his videos. I looked at some of his work. I spoke to some of his customers. I read the reviews people posted ON THIS WEBSITE. I had him do the work and it was very, very good.
I see people question the competence of shops or individuals I have some experience with and that experience doesn’t match my mine and I wonder where it comes from. I can’t tell you about the people that posted their negative opinions. I looked for people that posted their negative experiences with this shop and couldn’t find many. Actually, I couldn’t find any but then again I’m sure there are some.
The work he did on my truck was solid and I suspect it will last me a long time. Was it expensive? No more than anyone else doing the work. I guess I could have put my faith in someone that operates out of their home or in a rental bay, but I chose to go with someone with a track record and I haven’t regretted it for a moment.
I do most of my own work but when it comes to cracking the heads off of vehicle I depend upon for my family farm, I will let the professionals advise me and do the work. For me that was the smart move. Your results may vary.

Reactions: GeorgiaStrokin
#30 ·
Well, personally, I have rode spot the shop truck and yes it did have a pile of miles on it and ran great. I can Personally state that i have taken/towed MANY (6+) trucks to bills shop in buford ga. he even uses a towing company owned by an older gentleman who only tows for specific customers, and works well with bills customers. yes, i have rode to the shop with a truck on the back of the wrecker. In the past years i have tried other shops that were closer, only to find out that they dont know what they are doing or start replacing parts until they fix the truck. yes, bill is not cheap, but you are GUARANTEED to get the truck fixed correctly the first attempt. You dont know me from sam, but i will give credit when OVER due....

#31 ·
my 2 cents worth about it

Thought you diesel heads would like to know about my experience with thepowerstrokehelp.com shop in Georgia.
For several years I read what i could find and watched all the video's on their site, I read a few negatives but more positives and decided Mr Hewitt and his shop were for me. I live In Texas which is around 1200 miles from his operation, never the less i decided it would be worth the trip and expenses to drive out there, stay for a few days and get a bunch of stuff done to my truck : fuel mods, a chip, a transmission kit, etc. It took me 5 telephone calls before a got a call back................no one ever picked up the phone. Every phone call was met with a recodring saying they were very busy and could not answer all calls and to leave contact information and they would call back...well, they did, finally. And when they did i was not at home soMr hewitt told my wife things were hectic there and gave her the shop floor number saying that " we will pick up for sure at that number ". So, I called that number and wouldn't you know it, no pick up, instead another request for contact in formation..........so, i left that info on all 3 calls and never got a call back whatsoever. This certainly gave me pause to reflect on the situation. What would happen if i did go out there and was staying on the area waiting for my truck to be worked on or had it done and was home in Texas and had an issue that required communucation with them i would be in trouble. I gave it one more shot as I found their email address and explained the communication problem to them and requested an answer and if I didn't get an answer from them it would tell me all I needed to know........I never got the answer. There, you have the story.

#34 ·
I never got the answer. There, you have the story.
lol did you ever get your truck back?

still dosent sound like someone to avoid, they probley were having a busy/overwhelming week, maybe someone quit...

still if he was such a bad mechanic how is his business growing, not because of people that don't know anything about diesels are throwing their trucks and money at him... seems people just have a personal issue with his ways

#33 ·
Ya that would make me nervous as well. Kinda same thing happened with myself and a very well know shop in Colorado Springs. Heard all sorts of good stuff about them and I was 95% sure I was gonna let them install my BPD equipment. Called them 3 times left my # with no call back. When they finnally did call back the guy got upset with me for asking questions....so I installed it myself.

#35 ·
People in climbing do the same thing, once you get past the do's and don't's people will have personal opinions about the way you set up your anchoring system or the way you haul your loads is stupid... but whatever you know

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.