Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

exhaust laws?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  strokin'7.3 
#1 ·
do any of you fellow Oregonians know what the rules are here in oregon. as far as i know, as long as it ends after the cab, then it is ok. i plan on running a single stack in the passenger corner of the bed. i live up here in clatsop county and i don't think there are any emmisions testing or anything. i already have a 4" straight pipe now, so its already loud so i'm not really worried about noise tickets. any help would be great.

thanks,
travis

#3 ·
yea read up a little. see what cha can find

#4 ·
dunno but bought our truck from a Ford dealer in Salem, (no name mentioned) it already had some kind of 4" turbo back exhaust - a small probably 6" bulge in the pipe that looks like a muffler. Either the dealer didn't check out his used truck or they don't care.

#5 ·
Removing your cat is illegal in every state. thats a federal law. and as far as i know anything modified from stock is also illegal but cops dont usually push that unless there looking for probable cause. but that might not be true up in oregon. good luck

#7 ·
This is what I have found so far....

(Exhaust System)

815.250 Operation without proper exhaust system; exemptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operation without proper exhaust system if the person drives or moves on any highway or owns and causes or knowingly permits to be driven or moved on any highway a motor vehicle that is not equipped with an exhaust system that meets the requirements under this section.

(2) An exhaust system only meets the requirements of this section if all of the following apply:

(a) The exhaust system must be in good working order.

(b) The exhaust system must be in constant operation.

(c) The exhaust system must meet noise emission standards determined by the Department of Environmental Quality to be substantially equivalent to the following standards based upon a stationary test conducted at a distance of 25 feet in accordance with procedures established by the Department of Environmental Quality:

Maximum

level, Model,

Vehicle type dBA Year

I. Motor vehicles

required to

establish a

registration

weight under

ORS 803.430

and commercial

buses 94............................... before 1976

91............................... 1976 and after

II. Motorcycles and

mopeds 94............................... before 1976

91............................... 1976

89............................... after 1976

III. Motor vehicles

not described

under I or II 92............................... before 1976

88............................... 1976 and after

(3) This section does not apply to the following vehicles:

(a) Vehicles of special interest that are registered under ORS 805.020 and that are:

(A) Equipped with original manufacturer’s equipment and accessories, or their equivalent, and that are maintained in safe operating condition; or

(B) Street rods that conform to ORS 815.107.

(b) Road machinery, road rollers or farm tractors.

(c) Antique motor vehicles that are maintained as collectors’ items and used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses, but not used primarily for the transportation of persons or property.

(4) The court in its discretion may dismiss a citation issued for violation of the offense described in this section if evidence is presented that the exhaust system complies with or has been repaired or modified to comply with the requirements under this section.

(5) The offense described in this section, operation without proper exhaust system, is a Class C traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §496; 1985 c.16 §257; 1985 c.393 §23; 1997 c.402 §15]

#9 ·
I got my emisions done last month, i dont think they even looked under the truck lol.

thats here in AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.