Smoke on the Mountain ~ Mt. ST. HELENS ~ OCT 24th
This thread was started by FordForgotton on Northwest Ford Diesels Hope to see some of you there.
The annual All-Diesel, All Clubs trip to Mt St Helens. Saturday, Oct 24th, 2009
Pics from previous years:
2008: Smoke on the Mountain V
2007: Smoke on the Mountain IV - 2007
2006: Smoke on the Mountain - III
2005: NWBombers Smoke on the Mountain II
The rough game plans for the trip is as follows:
1. Meet at Exit 68 and I-5. Spiffy's Restaurant. If you wish to eat breakfast, get there about 8:30
2. Leave Spiffy's about 9:15 or so. If you decided to skip the breakfast meet and greet, you should be showing up now.
3. Head east on Highway 12 to Mary's Corner. Make the right turn onto Jackson Highway and follow it into the town of Toledo.
4. Continue thru Toledo on Highway 505 until it comes to highway 504 - Spirit Lake Highway. Turn Left.
5. Continue on 504 into Kid Valley. Pull into the Parking lot of the giant Sasquatch statue. Get out, take pics, stretch legs.
6. Continue on 504 to the Bridge Viewpoint. Pull into viewpoint. Take pics, setup for the big "Bridge Photo" where everyone lines up on the bridge and we try to get pics/vids before we completely screw up traffic.
7. Continue to the end of the road. Johnstons Ridge Observatory. Line up the trucks in the back of the parking lot. Walk up to visitor center. Take pics. We get to the top at roughly noon.
The visitor center does charge to enter, and to walk on the scenic trails. Last year we had one of the younger park employees tell me that EVERYONE had to pay even if they didnt use the visitor center. Bob V is looking into that for this year.
Also, a couple of ppl brought some small gas BBQ's to make lunch with at the top. There was some minor eyebrow raising about that also, but let it fly. No Charcoal tho they said.
Once we reach the top, its kind of the end of the trip, and everyone leaves for home based on their own schedules. Some literally turn around at the top and head home. Others stay for a while, then catch an early dinner somewhere on I-5.
I still wish we could do some form of teddy bear drive or poker run out of this event, just in case the weather completely sucks. That way people dont feel like it was a bum trip that they didnt get to see the mountain.
As always. If you eat at spiffy's, get the buffet for time reasons. Ordering off the menu takes forever. Also, if you dont have a CB radio. Get one, even if its just plugged into a cigarette lighter and a mag mount. Roughly pg to pg-13 conversations, but very entertaining none the less.
dont worry sir i got one in my truck all ready! what channel will we be running? im on 17, or 14 most of the time
Well it has been turned into a local food drive now. Check it out...
You asked for it, Im delivering.
I contacted the Food Lifeline, which is the regional food donation group working thru the United Way. They put me in touch with the coordinator for the Toledo Food Bank, and she contacted me today.
They would be very excited to have us make a stop in the town of Toledo, and would open the doors to the Food Bank and help unload a truck or two of food items.
So there it is! I hereby challenge all of you to fill the bed of one full size diesel truck during smoke on the mountain.
We will load the truck (or trucks!) at Spiffy's, and our first stop will be at the foodbank in Toledo.
Do me a flavor? If your on any of the other diesel websites, and they have an events section, and no one else has posted a SotM thread, would you please post up? Or reply to a thread if it already exist to say your coming? I think we can do better than 30 trucks this year
Northwest Ford Diesels - Food Drive: SotM 2009
The following list of food items are the types of food that Food Lifeline needs the most.
High Protein Foods
Red beans, black beans, lentils, refried beans (canned or dry)
Baby food (no glass containers)
Infant formula (Similac preferred)
Macaroni & Cheese
Personal Care Items
Feminine hygiene products
In keeping with food safety guidelines, we can not accept:
Individual glass baby food jars and juice bottles
Non-commercially packaged items
Open or partially used items
We are going to meet someone at the fairgrounds exit 9 in Washington and leave the exit by 7:30 am.... But down here I think I will be leaving Corvallis at 6 am and pick someone up in Albany. Then meet someone near the Jefferson exit. then up to Washington.
Last edited by layson; 10-14-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Well looks like should be 5 rigs coming from the Corvallis/Albany area. Meeting up at exit 238 Jefferson/Scio exit at about 6:20. Then hit exit 9 in Washington at 7:30 to meet up with the next group.
This is going to be a great time.