Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Straight Piping

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Grease Monkey 
#1 ·
I've been reading up on people straight piping their stock exhaust. This is a mod on the to do list until it's necessary for me to get a 4" setup. I don't have a welder or have found any place locally to get 3.5" pipe so I've called a few local shops around to do it for me. Every place I've called has quoted me between 75 and 150 bucks. I nearly **** my pants. I know it shouldn't be more than 30 or so. My question is do any of you know where I can get this done for cheaper around Portland or at the very least where I can score some 3.5" pipe and clamps to do it myself?

#2 ·
noob, if you measure the length of the muffler and cat you should be ale to go to any exhaust shop and have them cut and flair a peice of pipe for you, and can probly pick up clamps at any auto parts store..i strait piped my buddys cummins for about $35 dollars that way. good luck

#3 ·
Yeah, dont take it to a shop like that. Cut our with a sawsall the stock muffler and cat, then like the other guy said, tell a shop you need a 3.5" pipe flared at the ends that is so many inches long. Buy some exhuast clamps from Napa, ect, and put it in there.

I did a whole exhuast for $180, charging $100 to delete a muffler is crazy.

#6 ·
Bringing this back from the dead. Looking up underneath and planning everything out before I start hacking the muffler out. The s-pipe that everyone says needs to be turned 180 degrees so that it is straight doesn't look like it will end up making it straight. I know hundreds of people have done it, I just want to be sure before I start hacking it up and then needing to go to the shop and get it bent to fit.

#7 ·
I bought a 3 1/2" MBRP downpipe and muffler delete pipe from Exereme Diesel, a site sponsor. I have a buddy that does exhaust and he put the muffler delete on for $20 and chvyrkr81 and I put the downpipe on. I love the way it sounds! crew991 also gave me a 6" MBRP angle cut tip for it.

#8 ·
I finally did mine! $10 for a piece of pipe and $8 for two good clamps. Half an hour latter and its done! But i need to build a hanger since the old one is welded to the muffler.

#9 ·
just hack it off in front of the muffler and take all of it out behind. Let it dump under the truck until it is in the budget to do something different.

#11 ·
#14 ·
You should be able to use the bends that go over the axle as a turnout, you can just use that have the local muffler shop expand it and clamp it on where the muffler was and get yourself a hanger so it doesnt bounce around. $10 is all you should need unless they charge you to expand the piece you brought in.... Check out summitracing.com

They have a full 4" turboback for like $260 and for $370 you can get a full 4" stainless setup.... IMHO I wouldnt even worry about the stock exhaust unless your looking for more noise. Its hardly going to do anything at all performance wise it will simply be louder and maybe spool just a hair faster but thats it..

The stock 3" Downpipe is where your cloggin at, if you get this to 4" this is where you will see the most benefits, Its not so much the exhaust as it is the downpipes that will help a stockish truck breath alot better!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.