Emissions in Ohio - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Nuckin' Futz

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Emissions in Ohio

hey guys,
is there E check testing on diesels in ohio...if so whats the cutoff year and do we need to have a cat. Im from summit county but ive never owned a diesel in ohio so i don't know the emissions requirements there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
USMC - 6017

Send a message via ICQ to 00f250 Send a message via AIM to 00f250 Send a message via Yahoo to 00f250
Not sure on Summit county, but Trumbull county (where I live) does not have emissions testing.

What counties are included in the Ohio E-Check program?

The 7 Ohio counties currently participating in the program include: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, and Summit.

What type of testing is required for diesel vehicles?

All diesel-fueled vehicles equaling 10,000 pounds or less must be tested through the E-Check program if they are registered in one of the 7 E-Check counties. Model year 1996 and older diesel-fueled vehicles are given an opacity test to determine the "density" of the exhaust emitted from the vehicle's tailpipe. Opacity is defined as the percentage of light transmitted from a source which is prevented from reaching a light detector. The major environmental concern with diesel-fueled vehicles is the particulate matter emitted as a result of combustion. Particulate matter includes microscopic particles and tiny droplets of liquid. Because of their small size, these particles are not stopped in the nose and upper lungs and may end up in the lower lungs. These particles can then become trapped and cause irritation. Exposure to particulate matter can cause wheezing and similar symptoms in people with asthma or other forms of Chronic Lung Disease.

Beginning January 5, 2004, model year 1997 and newer diesel-fueled vehicles will undergo the OBD II test, instead of the tailpipe test. For more information on OBD II, please see the OBD II FAQ.

If a diesel-fueled vehicle cannot be driven on the dynamometer due to conditions such as all-wheel drive, four-wheel drive, etc., then it is given an idle snap test. This is a test where the vehicle remains in neutral or park, and the engine is revved to produce emissions. The dynamometer is not utilized during this method of testing.

http://www.ohioecheck.org/
Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Nuckin' Futz

Wow that scares me...ive got straight pipe on, although she doesn't smoke very much and in nuetral or park id be lucky if the egts get over 280 degrees so i doubt there will be any smoke...im just worried about the cat situation. mabe ill fab up a quick release pipe or just get a punched out cat. what in blazes is the OBD II test that scared me to but i know 97 460 gassers weren't OBD II so i wonder how that works.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

HEY I'M FROM PORTAGE COUNTY! NICE TO SEE ANOTHER OHIOAN ON HERE! Did your truck come with a cat? If it didn't then you have nothing to worry about! I know some of the OBS trucks did not have kitty's on them. Most of the time they just plug into your computer port and test it there! Mine hasn't been tested yet but will have to be in 2008. I'm getting stacks this summer and will be straight piping her also but when I take her in I'll have to put the kitty back in.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Nuckin' Futz

see i bought my truck in montana...there are no emission laws. so the truck didn't come with a cat on it. however the 97's we have in the shop do have them on there...although they do not have o2 sensors which is a plus so how do they know if the cat is working other than looking for obvious tampering but im worried about getting fined because it didn't come with it on there and as far as i know (playing dumb) i didn't know it needed one...there are no O2 sensors so what was i supposed to do
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Nuckin' Futz

i don't go back to Ohio until 09 so im not worried yet. although when im home next i might take it in under one of those non registered/out of state registered permits. just to see if she passes...she would pass the tailpipe test and i know she would pass the OBD II test cause i don't have any emissions related codes...the only one is the EBPV which now that i think of it didn't even throw a code...i got one for the ICP but i unplugged it on purpose to diagnose it and the other 1280 PCM/IDM diagnostic failure but ran the reader over it again and i got a P1111 all clear so i don't think she'll have a problem other than that cat...how much do cats run cause im going to have to buy it. hey do I have to have a muffler cause i don't and i like it that way...although i kept the muffler.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM

Each testing place does kinda their own thing. If I am right they look to see if you have a muff but when I took my wifes 98 expy in this fall they never even looked! They tested the gas cap and plugged into the port and that was it.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:39 PM

I'd just play stupid and if they ask then tell them that you bought the truck in Montana and that there was no cat on it cuz they did not require them out there.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Nuckin' Futz

i think they require all emissions stuff to be intact out here but no one checks...the closest they come to it is if you get pulled over they dip your tank for dyed fuel. So yeah ill play dumb.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Nuckin' Futz

so where is Freedom...ive never heard of it...granted i never really got out much. Im from Akron....Oh Oh portage is right next to stark county isn't it...my ex is from stark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.