E-Check Cost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E-Check Cost?

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2002 F350 Super Duty with a Super Cab, 7.3l Diesel, long bed. I went for my E-Check and they charged me $19.50. They said it was because of the size of my truck and that I wanted to register it as a non-comm. As far as I know, the GVW is about 6200 lbs., well below the 10,000 lb. commercial weight requirement. I've been all over the Ohio EPA site and there is nothing in there about paying for a diesel, or a heavy truck.

Anyone else have to pay for their E-Check? Did I just get hosed?

Thanks!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, yes indeed, I was rolled by the folks at the Ohio E Check. When I went for my E Check, I was told I had two choices. I could not have an E Check and pay extra for commercial plates or I could pay out of pocket for an "optional" E Check and purchase non-comm plates (the less expensive option).

They were wrong.

I went to the State of Ohio EPA website and they stated that only vehicles with a GVW over 10,000 lbs were exempt from the test. GVW on my truck is around 6200 lbs. No brainer, my truck is less than 10k GVW; my test is mandatory, AND FREE. I returned to the station and asked for a refund based on what the EPA website has listed. I was then told that, no, it's based on GVWR. I asked for proof of this....none was able to be given. Hmmm. I was then given an 800 number to call.

So, I called the 800 number and got an EPA wonk who says, after my explanation, "Hmmm, I don't know about this, I'll call you back."

10 minutes later I get a return call from the EPA. (I'm impressed!) I am informed that, yes, the exemption is based on GVWR, NOT GVW. The State's website is incorrect. I was given the OAC number that says as much. Well, the Ohio Administrative Code is the law here, the website is wrong, testing station is right and I'm out $19.50 every two years.

Uh, no, not really.

Brandon at the EPA informs me that a vehicle that has a GVWR over 10k lbs. is exempt from the E Check. All I have to do is take the truck to the local field office and submit it to a visual inspection that verifies all the emission control crud that was on it from the factory is still there. 15 minutes later, I get a slip of paper that exempts my truck from ever having another E Check ever. This is a free service from the EPA. This is the correct answer and the one that the folks at the testing station should have told me.

"Because your truck has a GVWR over 10,000 lbs., please take it to the local field office and based on a visual examination, they will give you a paper giving you an exemption from ever having to have this vehicle E Checked. If you take that paper to the BMV, they will issue you non-comm plates based on this. This service will be free of charge."

That's all they had to say and I would have got it. Ah well, lesson learned. So, if there is anyone else in the seven county mandatory E Test zone (Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage & Summit), and your truck is over 10,000 lbs GVWR, you too are exempt from the test if you get your truck visually inspected at the local field office.

Sorry for the long post!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.