Firefighter Question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
Firefighter Question...

...Or anyone that has experience with a hydrant wrench

What is the spanner wrench used for on a fire hydrant wrench/tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

to connect and disconnect hoselines.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanbill View Post
to connect and disconnect hoselines.
Yeppers, you need one I got one. I also have a hydrant wrench.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 AM

I picked up one of these and didn't know what everything was for.

Can a civilian get hoses that connect to a hydrant?

BTW, this not to tamper with a hydrant. I am thinking more along the lines of dooms day prep. Just in case anyone thought I was looking to screw up a hydrant or steal water.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Sure you can, just have to pay for them.

But I got some 2 inch service line as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Sure you can, just have to pay for them.

But I got some 2 inch service line as well.
Roger that. Of course I would pay. It's not like I was going to take them off a truck one day. Though if I did, I would make sure it was in a different county. I want my company to be fully stocked

I really haven't looked too hard, could you offer some places that I might be able to get them?

If I find someplace local, do places like that frown upon selling to civi's?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Roger that. Of course I would pay. It's not like I was going to take them off a truck one day. Though if I did, I would make sure it was in a different county. I want my company to be fully stocked

I really haven't looked too hard, could you offer some places that I might be able to get them?

Some departments throw the old stuff away. That is how I got mine. The department got new hoses and were throwing away the old stuff. It works great for irrigation of fields.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just curious what you need a hydrant for. I know in my jurisdiction, Spokane WA, the city gets pretty uptight about people using the hydrants without a permit and a meter connected to pay for water usage. If you are thinking in terms of fire protection the best thing to do would be to get a 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 reducer to take off the hydrant. The other thing that would be good to know is how much pressure the hydrant actually has. Where I live, in the sticks, some are barely adequate to fill a truck let alone fight any fire using hydrant pressure. If wildland fire is an issue reducing from 2 1/2 to 1" would probably be one of your best bets just for ease in mobility of the hose. That all being said don't be surprised if the FD cut your hose or turned it off if a fire was moving through the area. Firefighting hydraulics is a fairly complicated issue for the lay person to understand especially if you have no idea how the your hydrant system is plumbed. Won't get into that here. That all being said would I do it if I needed yes and I have what I need. Please Please Please, never use a pipe wrench on a hydrant as it will ruin the bolt on top of the hydrant making it useless for the firefighters. If you have any other questions regarding fire protection pm me. DJ
Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post

If you can't find them local I can get you some or at least hook you up with the contact info. We sell them to contractors every once in a while.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhill View Post
Just curious what you need a hydrant for. I know in my jurisdiction, Spokane WA, the city gets pretty uptight about people using the hydrants without a permit and a meter connected to pay for water usage. If you are thinking in terms of fire protection the best thing to do would be to get a 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 reducer to take off the hydrant. The other thing that would be good to know is how much pressure the hydrant actually has. Where I live, in the sticks, some are barely adequate to fill a truck let alone fight any fire using hydrant pressure. If wildland fire is an issue reducing from 2 1/2 to 1" would probably be one of your best bets just for ease in mobility of the hose. That all being said don't be surprised if the FD cut your hose or turned it off if a fire was moving through the area. Firefighting hydraulics is a fairly complicated issue for the lay person to understand especially if you have no idea how the your hydrant system is plumbed. Won't get into that here. That all being said would I do it if I needed yes and I have what I need. Please Please Please, never use a pipe wrench on a hydrant as it will ruin the bolt on top of the hydrant making it useless for the firefighters. If you have any other questions regarding fire protection pm me. DJ

Fire Department does not own the hydrant. The hydrant is owned by the township. At least where I live. If you are going to use the hydrant for irrigation. You can request it through the township, and they will put a meter on the hydrant. Then you connect your irrigation line to the meter. You will be billed quarterly just like a water bill for the use of the water.

Again I have the hydrant wrench, and 2 inch service hose.

Having this stuff is not against the law. You can order fire hose from galls.com. You can order a hydrant wrench from them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.