Trailer ideas! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trailer ideas!

As you all know I have an 18' with a 1 1/2 dove tail. I like the trailer just fine and got a great deal on it. The thing I dont like is that it only has 3500lbs axles slung under it.

My question is would just putting stronger axles under it be fine for upping the load rating or is there more I should do. The frame, hitch, and deck is very over built in my opinion for the weak weight rating of the axles. I would beef up the leaf springs but I dont see it really needing anything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 605
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
As you all know I have an 18' with a 1 1/2 dove tail. I like the trailer just fine and got a great deal on it. The thing I dont like is that it only has 3500lbs axles slung under it.

My question is would just putting stronger axles under it be fine for upping the load rating or is there more I should do. The frame, hitch, and deck is very over built in my opinion for the weak weight rating of the axles. I would beef up the leaf springs but I dont see it really needing anything else!
My personal opinion...ditch the leaf spring set up and put some torsion flex axles under it. They are the cats a$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Slacker



 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Posts: 16,919
Thanks: 13
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Only thing to be careful of is in the event of an accident, insurance claim or being pulled over by a Law Enforcement Officer and being overloaded for the rating...

This gets discussed ad nauseum on many of the RVing message boards, but unless it falls under a specific DOT regulation for recreational use, nobody has clear jurisdiction in this area.

Be aware that commercial applications (using the trailer to make money) fall under different DOT regulations which vary by location. Make sure you know what is required before putting the trailer on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1981 View Post
My personal opinion...ditch the leaf spring set up and put some torsion flex axles under it. They are the cats a$$.
I have thought about that but I am not sure. I have had leaf setups my whole life and am sold on them. My big trailer is torsion and the first thing I noticed about it that I did not like was that the axles are welded to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Only thing to be careful of is in the event of an accident, insurance claim or being pulled over by a Law Enforcement Officer and being overloaded for the rating...

This gets discussed ad nauseum on many of the RVing message boards, but unless it falls under a specific DOT regulation for recreational use, nobody has clear jurisdiction in this area.

Be aware that commercial applications (using the trailer to make money) fall under different DOT regulations which vary by location. Make sure you know what is required before putting the trailer on the road.
Well I dont want to get to out of hand with it. I was thinking about just going up to 10 or 15 thousand pounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:30 AM
wriott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
post some pics along with the make and model of it and i can do some research and find out if the different models of that trailer were different builds or just different axles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OK. Let me go get um and I will post them up in a lil while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 AM
wriott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
ok sounds good, PM me when you post them as i will prob miss this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Alrighty then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dahlonega, GA
Posts: 2,809
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
I have thought about that but I am not sure. I have had leaf setups my whole life and am sold on them. My big trailer is torsion and the first thing I noticed about it that I did not like was that the axles are welded to the frame.



Well I dont want to get to out of hand with it. I was thinking about just going up to 10 or 15 thousand pounds.
If you going to almost double the weight, I'd dump the trailer and buy a bigger one, the prices on used trailers are low and there are some great deals out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cant do that without selling this one and know one seems to be interested!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors