advice on dogs and their behavior - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
advice on dogs and their behavior

So i have a Husky, ever since we got him fixed he has been real weird towards people... he likes to growl and bark alot.. he has also grown real posessive of his pillow bed we have for him.... he started nipping at my son and i found out tonight, that he bit my son on his hind end and drew blood.. is there any way to put a stop to this behavior??? i always told myself that if he ever bit someone i would have him put down.. i dont want a dog that is a liability.. and i dont want this to continue... and ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
I can contest to huskys being a little odd. My best friend has a female husky, she is 10 now. Towards I would say 6 and older she has just been intolerable at times. I take care of her at times and she has bitten me or nipped at me when she doesnt want to do something and around strangers she barks and isnt nice. I am not sure what happened or when it happened but when his parents arent around and I have to take care of her she is just intolerable.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
hmmmm. yeah he has grown real " grumpy " lately.... i just dont want to have company over, or go for a walk and have him bite someone.. i dont need a law suit over a short tempered dog..
Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
Unfortunately I think he is going to be that way. I know fixing made my pit bull calmer, but he is not good with strangers at all. He is an awesome dog but he is also intolerable at times. I got him as a puppy and he was trained well but he humps the living daylights out of completely random people that come over and there are times when he acts like he wants to attack someone and I dont know why so I am very careful and dont let him get away with anything, he knows the consequences, that prong collar is a good correcting tool lol.... He is bad he knows it goes on for a period of time and he sits next to you acting like an angel.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 PM
I am that hot

Huskys just seem to me like they are moody more. Tasha is super moody and when she doesnt get her way its awful.... Its like at this point you have to give in to her just to get through your day.... I feel bad for you, I think if you have some 1 on 1 training it may make he/she better. Sometimes I think dogs need to be put back in their place, once they know they are more dominant than you thats when it starts a one way street with no turning around lol...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

well he knows i am the dominant one.. he will roll over and show his belly when i kneel down to him or go to pet him while he is laying down.. he has been a real good dog, but like i said, i dont need a liability.... im gonna give him some time, but if he bites agan, and draws blood i feel i will have to put him down..
Old 04-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

I have two Rottweilers and I can tell you this much, you must be the pack leader being the "dominate" one is not enough. Fear breeds contempt and unreliable behavior. I wonder how much the dog is treated like a dog and not "one of the kids". How much exercise does the dog get? Do you take the dog for walks? The dog could be bored, Husky's are bred for sled pulling ability and they have a very high energy level and a strong will to boot. A daily vigorus walk could do wonders for your situation. I also must say as much as I love my Rotties, if they ever bit one of my kids it would be all over but the crying. Good luck and best wishes for you and the dog.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:19 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Hey rob, We have 2 year old daschund. he was always eager to try and snap at me when I would get close to my wife. Hes basically her shadow. He bit me in bed one night and my fingernail was half stripped off. God it hurt!! Well, after he awoke from his flight across the room into the wall, we had him fixed. It still took a while for him to calm down, but I think hes gonna be fine. Hasnt snapped at me in a long time. Amost a year. He still goes nuts when someone new is around, and he must warm up to them, were gonna work on that this summer. There is such thing as Doggie Prozac. No lie. Could be a possibility for you. Ask your vet. they might can reccomend something for you to do. It sucks having a dog you cant take anywhere cause of his attitude.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

We had the same issue with a beagle we have. Took her to dog training class learned basic things such as the sit stay and the extended down. I take all three of my dogs on 6-7 mile bike rids numerous times a week. I ride the mountain bike while they have harnesses and leashes on. The exercise is a very important thing. Just have to be the dominate one. Check out some of Cesar Millan's stuff that dude is a genius with dogs.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
im a veterinary tech for an animal hospital and see this kind of thing all the time. first off, how old is the husky and how old is your child/children?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.