which scanner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
which scanner

didn't see a radio thread anywhere so here it goes
which kind of radio scanner does everyone have or like?
i would like a mobile one to mount in my truck under/over my cb. i don't need 500000000000 different channels. maybe 200 or so. MAYBE. mainly i'm going to use it for the fire/ems, skywarn/weather, and police.
just looking into what you guys have/like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to pistolpete837
PRO-163 1000 CH Triple Trunking Mobile/Base Scanner - RadioShack.com

we sell this scanner at my store, we like it alot. you will not find a new scanner with much less than 1k channels. this one has triple trunking so you can pick up you highway patrol and big city departments.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 AM

i went over to the radioshack the other day and saw it. really liked it but was kinda expensive.
i was hoping there was one with less than 1000 channels so it would maybe would cut price but hadn't found any yet
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll forewarn you. Depending on your state and county laws, those may be illegal in a vehicle. Rather you hear it from me than a cop in a bad mood. Where I live in Bama, the local county doesn't care. The next county over they aren't allowed. If you put it in, you will need a good antenna, not just one that sticks to the glass or something. I'd check with a cop whose a buddy before I bolted one in.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIT2WN View Post
I'll forewarn you. Depending on your state and county laws, those may be illegal in a vehicle. Rather you hear it from me than a cop in a bad mood. Where I live in Bama, the local county doesn't care. The next county over they aren't allowed. If you put it in, you will need a good antenna, not just one that sticks to the glass or something. I'd check with a cop whose a buddy before I bolted one in.
in texas from what i've found it's ok. lol oh well, if i get stopped, i'll say i didn't know and thought it was ok and start unplugging it for him

yea i know what kinda antenna i need. just wondering about what scanners you guys like and . . . stuff
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 PM

I think mine was a 200 or 250 channel Uniden from Wal-Mart. It was back in 98-99 when I had mine in. You won't use all of those. You could at one time get a frequency book from Radio Shack that listed them for each county and department. I remember most states have a 'state net'. [common frequency all state troopers and local Leo's share]. You could also program in aircraft, railroad, and so on. People with older cordless phones will also come in, if you leave it to scan openly.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 AM

wal mart sold em? didn't know that. yea i know the frequencies and everything i want. i know i can program all that in. the troopers here have district frequencies but i'm sure there is one common one. there's common fire, ems, emergency freqs. now.
i was just wondering what everyone had, liked, and suggested in the way of mobile scanners with not too many extra channels but the good features like triple trunking, skywarn button, and just a large scanning range.
i'm pretty sure it doesn't exist but i tried lol
Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 AM

The one I had was around $100 plus antenna and cable. It wasn't fancy by any means. You could program in certain frequencies and it would scan for more. If you liked the new ones just add them in. The thing would drive people with cordless phones nuts. Their phone would scan up a channel and then it would go up with them, and repeat. I didn't live with it long before it went on a shelf and is still collecting dust. If you can live with a CB or something similar your fine. Too much chatter at times and gets distracting while driving.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 AM

yea i got a CB. doesn't bother me. i would only use the scanner because we get fires where we live and bad weather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.