who has a mini van? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
who has a mini van?

So my wife and i will be fostering at least 1 baby which means with our own kids we are out of seatbelts in every vehicle we own... she really wants a mini van for the convenience so were looking into it... our budget is 10k max because i want to pay cash and not have any other payment...

so how many of you actually own one?

why are the Chyrser town and country soo much cheaper than like the honda or toyota? Should i stay away from the Chrysler?

in my price range i can either get like a 2005*-007 Chrysler with under 115k or like a 2002-2003 hondy/toyota with alot more miles..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Congrats on the new baby!

I have friends with a Chrysler T/C and guess what their weak link is... I think they're on their third trans in five years.

What other vehicles are you sporting that can't handle the kids (how many kids are we talking about)?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTires4295 View Post
Congrats on the new baby!

I have friends with a Chrysler T/C and guess what their weak link is... I think they're on their third trans in five years.

What other vehicles are you sporting that can't handle the kids?
she has a 2011 Focus SES, i have a 2012 F150 CC (seats 5) 2007 F150EC (seats 5) and a superduty that seats 6 but its a work truck...

were a family of 5 right now without the new addition...

i tried to convince her to get an expedition but she was not sold.. she wants the sliding doors...

do you know of anyone that makes a built trans for the town and country?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Dang, the sliding doors kinda kills it for narrowing down a choice. I was going to say an Expedition or the like. We just bought a '11 Explorer last year that seats 7 or (with the seats flipped up...I can't remember if it's 7 or 8) in anticipation of our expanding family.

I've not heard of anybody making a built trans. A quick Google search also turned up negative results.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 PM

yup i googled for it too and only came up with people having transmission problems with them....

i found a decent hondy odyseey for 5k but has 220k on it mostly all highway miles but still seems like a lot for any gas car....

i never would have thought vans were soo damn expensive....
Old 10-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Good God that's too much for a van... It's an inflated market (as I'm sure you're aware). Heck, our used '11 Explorer XLT with 23k miles on it last year was $31k. I was blown away at that. I'm especially burned about the Explorer because we just had to drop $2k in it at the stealership for a new steering gear. Apparently it's a very common issue for the '11 model but Ford has yet to issue a recall.

I'd keep looking and hope for something better than $5k at 220k miles in something (or low-ball them with cash if you check it out and it looks okay). I wouldn't want such a high mileage gas vehicle and have it break down with 6 agitated kids and a P'd off wife
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 PM
back in the saddle

We've got a 05 dodge grand caravan SXT. Actually it's for sale but I think the distance would put you out of reach Raul... lol.

I wouldn't buy another one. I replaced the radiator, egr valve which were no big deal. The wiring harnesses for the sliding door tracks weather and crack and need replace every so often. Aftermarket ones run about $60 per side.

Our trans was fine until I had it flushed back in January at 95k miles. Fast forward 6 months and it started acting up. Fluid was burnt and it was shifting weird. I just stuck a trans in it this week and it's getting a for sale sign.

I will agree though, with a lot of kids to haul around nothing beats a mini van. Around here the private party price on our van is about $6k with 102k miles on it. Power doors, seat, windows, locks, etc. CD, 6 disc DVD changer/rear entertainment. I figure I'll be lucky to get $5500 out of it. Lots of vans for sale around here. Dealers are closer to $7-8 for the same thing depending on the dealer.

Last edited by shu873; 10-04-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 PM

My mother-in-law is on her 4th Caravan. I think it's on 05. I took it to a festival once when my car was at the shop. I drove it like a stole it for a weekend and enjoyed how easy it was to move car seats around and buckle kids in. She does a ton of traveling every week and as far as I know of, she hasn't had any transmission issues since she bought it in '07.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
220k miles on a Honda/Toyota is nothing. If it was taken care of it'll run another 220k with normal wear n tear parts to replace.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-06-2013, 04:49 AM

The dodge minivans from my experience love transmissions and start smoking sooner. Our Toyota sienna I love. I hat to say this but 168k and aI i have done is changed the oil, brakes, and tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.