So at work today \ this week........... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So at work today \ this week...........

Ladies and gentlemen just some friendly reminders from uncle Craig R.N.:

When your 11 month old INFANT drinks the solution to do a hair perm IT IS NOT OKAY TO WAIT FOR 16 HOURS AND SEVERAL EPISODES OF VOMITING "PINK STUFF" before bringing them to the ER, in fact TAKE THEM TO THE CHILDREN"S HOSPITAL or call 911 immediately!!Dumb a$$!!!
Sorry

Do not got to your local trauma center with a fever / tooth ache / etc and then complain because the 11 month old who swallowed perm solution went ahead of you.

Don't fake a seizure in the ER waiting room, the staff can tell the difference between a real seizure and a fake one . It will get you bumped down the line. Further more, walking outside the ER and faking a seizure on the street corner just to have EMS (911) come pick you up and drive you 40' to the ER will not advance your position in line. Seriously....it won't .

When you come in complaining of a head ache, remember to tell the doctor at the beginning of the visit you were struck in the head with a hammer a month and a 1/2 ago (when the headache started) and never came into get the stitches taken out.

Faking chest pain will not get you seen quicker and will probably get your visit lengthened.

Children belong at a Children's Hospital if one is close by (within 20 - 25 miles) and the situation is not life threatening.

Having a fist fight with your spouse in the ER does not endear you to the ER staff.

If you are involved in an MVC (Motor vehicle collision ((10mph both vehicles))) on Monday, it is not okay to show up on FRIDAY NIGHT AT 2300 (11:00 p.m.) to "just get checked out". Think about the Snickers commercial "Not going anywhere for a while???"

Cocaine can cause chest pain.

Ladies......when bleeding from the "mustn't touch" it's called a "menstrual cycle" and odds are you are going to have this roughly about every 30 days or so. Much like it has occurred for the last 20 years or so. Just a refresher course here.

There is no excuse to be drunk with a chain saw........nuff said here.

If you have crack cocaine on you and you get into a fight with the police in the ER you are going to go to jail. No really.........you will. I promise.

Spent a lot of time with this one tonight...............When your blood alcohol is 342 and you are in your late 50's it is not okay to pickup a jr high aged relative above your head and walk down a flight of stairs.

A 3 y/o with an unrelieved headache from an MVC (motor vehicle collision) where the point of impact was on her (3 y/o) door needs to be seen before the 4th day of pain. And yes "mom" gave pain meds for 4 days!!!!!.

Having gas, or as it is commonly called.......farting, is a normal occurrence and does not require a trip to the ER. Ease up on the fiber or take Gas-X.

Yes, the situations above are true and occurred over the last 36 hours and were my patients or I had a part in dealing with them.

Having said all of this.....if you are injured / sick (you get to be the judge)....please don't hesitate to seek medical attention in an ER. The nurses that speak to you first at the triage desk know to look for certain things / conditions and are usually VERY good at what they do.

If you have a medical question (non-emergency) please don't hesitate to ask me (PM me). If I don't know the answer it means I have to look it up, and it makes me a better nurse, plus I might be able to help out.

Stay safe,
Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Wow.....
You can't make up stuff like that!

I knew you Texans were retarded.....

:
Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Emergency Services

haha so much truth to tihs!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

amazing stuff...

you are a better man than i am all male nurse jokes aside..

i would have been fired long ago for saying the wrong things..
how hard is it not to tell some people that they are some of the stupidest people you have ever met??
Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Wow Craig sounds like a busy day.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:05 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Good grief! I figured they were true, but not ALL within 36 hrs.

Thanks Craig, always looking forward to your ER stories.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Heres one that happened to me a few months ago

Dont tell ES personnel to F off you dont need any help while you laying in your car upside down with your detached right arm about a foot away
Old 06-29-2008, 05:24 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
It amazes me(an outsider) how "immune" you professionals (Craig/Dave) have to get to be able to cope with just 1 full shift of events. Im like someone already said- They would have me locked up the first hour for NOT holding my tongue. Hats off to you fellas who deal with it for a living.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Here's a dual topic situation that happened to me while doing my ER time for an EMT cert. First situation happened about 6 pm. Parents walk in from Mexico with about a 3yo child with high fever. The agents let them pass without papers. 65 degrees outside in the dead of winter and the child is wearing a coat with hood on and fastened. we removed the coat and,VIOLA, the fever subsides.
Later that night, 2 ambulances drive in from just north of Monterey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, with about 8 passengers of a rollover. Drove right across the bridge and to the ER. Again, no papers and no serious injuries.

No wonder our med costs are so high.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Wow.....You can't make up stuff like that!
I knew you Texans were retarded..... :
All of my patients for the last 3 days were from Virginia, they are just here visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroke69cpy3 View Post
how hard is it not to tell some people that they are some of the stupidest people you have ever met??
Sometimes it is pretty dadgum hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Heres one that happened to me a few months ago
Dont tell ES personnel to F off you dont need any help while you laying in your car upside down with your detached right arm about a foot away
Yeah probably not the brightest thing to say in this condition.

It is still a fun / rewarding job even with the silly / stupid crap you have to put up with from time to time.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.