Scott Kalitta killed in final round of qualifing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scott Kalitta killed in final round of qualifing

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. (AP) - Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed at the end of track during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.
The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta - the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car - was taken to the Old Bridge division of Raritan Bay Medical Center, where he died a short time later.
Scott Kalitta was a two-time Top Fuel champion. (NHRA) Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at about 300 mph when it burst into flames.
The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.
"We are deeply saddened and want to pass along our sincere condolences to the entire Kalitta family," the NHRA said in a statement. "Scott shared the same passion for drag racing as his legendary father, Connie. He also shared the same desire to win, becoming a two-time series world champion. He left the sport for a period of time, to devote more time to his family, only to be driven to return to the drag strip to regain his championship form. ... He will be truly missed by the entire NHRA community."
Kalitta had most of his racing success in Top Fuel, highlighted by his series titles in 1994 and 1995. He retired from racing in 1997, sitting out most of two seasons before returning for a 10-race campaign in 1999. He sat out three more seasons following that brief stint and then returned again in 2003, joining cousin Doug as a second driver for the family's two Top Fuel dragsters.
Kalitta started his pro career in Top Fuel in 1982, running limited events for four seasons before moving to Funny Car in 1986 for his first full season of competition. He returned to that category full-time in 2006.
One of only 14 drivers in NHRA history to win in both premier nitro categories, Kalitta's last victory came in Chicago in 2005 in Top Fuel. He had a runner-up finish two weeks ago in Chicago, his 36th career NHRA final-round appearance.
He's survived by his father, wife Kathy and sons Corey, 14, and Colin, 8.
NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Brad Keselowski - a native of Rochester Hills, Mich., about 20 miles away from Kalitta's hometown of Mount Clemens - learned the news from a television report.
"That really hits close to home," Keselowski said after winning the pole position for Saturday night's race at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wis. "(He was) a friend of my family's, and I send my thoughts and prayers out to him. That's tough to hear."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Emergency Services

holy s**t, that guy was one of my heroes. what a sad day in racin. my prayers are with his family and its still hard to believe, i havent heard anything on the news
Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM

I was watching the rounds on ESPN when all of a sudden they went to commercial and came back and said he was in a accident and cancelled qualifying. Then cam back an hour later and said he had passed. They showed the accident once and from what it looked like the explosion probably knocked him out because the chute's never deployed and no brakes were ever applied. He ran off of the end of the track and hit the boom lift holding the far end camera.

This is so sad because it was only a year ago Eric Medlen died in the same type of car. One thing is for sure, he was a die hard racer thru and thru. He went the way he would have wanted to go and that's in his car. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and may he rest in peace.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Man.. that really sucks.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 AM

just saw it on you tube,wow he will be missed.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
May he rest in peace.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
that is terible
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 AM

WOW thats my home track, pretty much my second home, the dirtbike track right next to it, i usuall y go eveyryear but i had to work, i liked scott too, i have pics of his crew workin in the pits last year, may he R.I.P
Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Rebel

R.I.P. Scott.. I also seen it on U tube. Very sad.. He was a great racer and will be missed very much.. Prayers go out to his family and friends..
Old 06-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Horrible accident.

The tribute paid by Robert Hight was awesome!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.