Black Gold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Black Gold

What do you guys think of this show? Looking for opinions and input from people in Texas that do this work or have friends that do this what and what you think about it being on tv and how it is portrayed. Seems like a pretty cool show to me. Set as a season pass on the Tivo. That dude Tim got sh!t faced on his birthday in the first episode tonight!! Slurring..."Can I get 12 shots of Cuervo?" Dude was hammered all emotional and almost crying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I wish I could have seen in it. Ive been on the rig floor all night about 250 miles off the coast of New Orleans. I think the show hypes it up a little bit, but I know some roughnecks on the surface side and they can be a wild bunch of guys. Heck most of the guys out here are the same way but they just cant go to the bar and get wasted!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I havent seen it yet.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Rajin Cajun
Well, to be quite honest that show is gonna do more to hurt us than the current gas/diesel prices already have. Ive been in the Oil / Gas Industry since I was a kid. I've worked from the Gulf of Mexico to Land rigs in Louisiana, Wyoming, Colorado and now Oklahoma. Although "entertaining" to someone who is in the business I cant wait to see how Joe Public treats us after this show has been on for a while. BTW, I am a "Company Man" for a Major.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
Well, to be quite honest that show is gonna do more to hurt us than the current gas/diesel prices already have.
I haven't seen it yet either but why is it going to "hurt us"?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 AM

It portrays some of the roughnecks wrong... I do NDE inspection so we are out at plants, tank farms, etc... I wish we could go out and get plastered and go in the next morning like nothing happened!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
The other thing is the danger that they portray. They hype up the injuries and other bad situations and make it look like a frequent thing. I work mostly land rigs, and have watched completions start to finish, and the worst I've seen so far is kill fluid washing out and burping water all over the cellar. I hear stories of chain breaks, and tongs coming loose, bot not as frequent as it seems on the show.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:00 AM

Yeah you just gotta remember that anything that's made for TV has to have some "entertainment" factor. Of course it's gonna blur the line between stuff that doesn't happen and what real oil rig workers do. If it didn't do that what would we all have to sit around and talk about?? haha. Bottom line I think it'll be a cool show but you just gotta take it w/ a grain of salt sometimes and realize it's made up a bit.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM

I definitely agree with the danger side of things. It has been quite awhile since I have been out to a drilling rig and I don't remember them out there in sleeve-less shirts and whatnot. When we are on site you better get out of the truck with a bare minimum of safety glasses and hard hats. You don't touch anything without gloves on. And most of them time you are wearing FRC's! I think they just make it look alot more dangerous than it really is to keep the suspense up on the show. (Not that it is not dangerous by any means. I am almost positive that there is ALOT more safety implemented than they show)
Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Back in the 70-80's it was not uncommon for me to go up top for a bit trip in cut-offs and boots. Different situation now. I missed the show, but the previews look like a wormy driller. The "corner hand " that got hit by the back-up tongs was a victim of an aggressive driller. The wet connections or trips are a little excessive. I've done directional drilling where a wet string is part of it, but for every connection to be wet, the driller is screwing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.