Random Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Random Question

I know that a large portion of the POWERSTROKE family has there own busness

I am about to lay down 500 square feet of tile. Before I do that should I pull the linoleum floor before I do this?? I know that I can't spell.

Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERED SPARKLESS View Post
I know that a large portion of the POWERSTROKE family has there own busness

I am about to lay down 500 square feet of tile. Before I do that should I pull the linoleum floor before I do this?? I know that I can't spell.

Any ideas??
Are you over wood subfloor or concrete?
I've done both.
If you are over wood subfloor then you NEED to put down and SCREW in HARDIFLOOR, which is a cement based backerboard that gets screwed down every SIX INCHES. (you can do this over the lino) And run the sheets the OPPOSITE direction of your wood subfloor, this will drastically reduce the chance of the tile and or grout cracking, and give your tile something to adhere to. If you are over concrete then just bite the bullet and pull it up with a "burke bar" and or a good floor scraper. A lot of guys will say yes do it over the lino, but if your halfway done and you find a spot that isn't adheared to the concrete any longer then you will have to pull it up and then float the floor up to the tile you already laid down, which will cost you a day.
If you just tile over a spot in the lino that isn't glued anymore, then you will not have a positive bond and thus a "hollow" spot under the tile that will be succeptable to breaking.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

My house is only a 4 years old and I'm sitting on a concrete subfloor. I havn't noticed and bubbling, tearing/ or looseness any where. I plan on starting friday. I have two bath and a biga** kitchen/ dinning room.

Last edited by POWERED SPARKLESS; 05-20-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
My house is only a 4 years old and I'm sitting on a concrete subfloor. I havn't noticed and bubbling, tearing/ or looseness any where. I plan on starting friday. I have two bath and a biga** kitchen/ dinning room.
You won't necessarily see bubbling or tearing to have loose spots. But if its only 4 years old you should be good. Just go over the ENTIRE AREA with Acetone and a rag or two, to get off any residue that would prevent the MODIFIED THINSET to adhere. AND if your lino rolls up under your cabinets then you will have to cut out the "roll up" What size tile are you using?

I always pull measurements and do my tile layouts so that I have full tiles going through the doorways of the main rooms (your big azz kitchen/dinning room) Pull your numbers, snap a chalk line for your first course and go from there! P.S. you should take measurements off of two opposing walls to make sure your walls are square and do a 3,4,5, or 6, 8, 10 to double check square.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Square wall what are you talking about.. I'm about to get an acidtone just because I don't think that I have to pull the lino. As for the kitchen we have a pattern that we want to do. When I say "we" I mean the my loved one. Can you say lots of wast. I've tiled before but it's been a while, but I have a good friend that is a contractor
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Square wall what are you talking about.. I'm about to get an acidtone just because I don't think that I have to pull the lino. As for the kitchen we have a pattern that we want to do. When I say "we" I mean the my loved one. Can you say lots of wast. I've tiled before but it's been a while, but I have a good friend that is a contractor
If you have a friend that is a contractor then he will know what "square the walls" mean.
It means if two opposing walls are out of square, then along one wall you will have "wedge" shaped pieces, that start fat, and skinny down to nothing, instead of being the same width the entire length of the walls. Just wipe the lino down with acetone and you will be good to start.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

I agree with seven... But I always say remove the old, no matter what it is, untill you reach the base floor(concrete, wood, whatever). That way you won't be in for any surprises as you go. I'm not a contractor, but my dad was and I have (sadly) had to do all types of floor work over the yrs. Haven't had to do much in a long time, which is good with me, but I've seen the results when old flooring has been left inplace. I had to remove carpet and 3 layers of linoleum in the kitchen where I live now, just to allow matching floor height across the house. 2450 sq ft of home... I wasn't interested in seeing what I could do... So I removed everything and started from concrete. I also found several cracks along the way and was able to make some repairs I woudn't have found if I'd left the original floor. I was just glad half or so was carpet.

If it ain't flat and stuck at the bottom, your tile will surely pop, leaving you to redo the job later. And be careful with the thinset. Not too little, not too much.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
And be careful with the thinset. Not too little, not too much.
Yeah and use a measuring device for the water that way you get a consistant mixture. if one batch is a little wet, then the next batch is a little dry, then the wet mix tile will be lower than the dryer mix tile, and no matter how much you beat on it (even with a rubber mallet) you won't get the elevation the same, you'll have to pull it up, scrape off the thinset and start over.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmalards View Post
Yeah and use a measuring device for the water that way you get a consistant mixture. if one batch is a little wet, then the next batch is a little dry, then the wet mix tile will be lower than the dryer mix tile, and no matter how much you beat on it (even with a rubber mallet) you won't get the elevation the same, you'll have to pull it up, scrape off the thinset and start over.
Yup, and RE-tiling is about as bad as doing the grout work!!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Cynic

"square the walls" heh

Pythagorean theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just to blow your mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.