Air ride cab on SD? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Air ride cab on SD?

I was driving the other day next to a semi and it was over particularly rough road and i just so happened to actually pay attention to the cab moving and as i was going over the same road and my spine was being compressed to all hell. Then i wondered if anyones done that to their truck, no necessarily a SD but it would be an interesting concept. Just replace the body mounts with some small airbags and of course some on board air. The bags would have to body lift the cab a bit to allow for the travel.

You guys see any reason this wouldnt work? Im probably not gonna do it but interesting to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
I was driving the other day next to a semi and it was over particularly rough road and i just so happened to actually pay attention to the cab moving and as i was going over the same road and my spine was being compressed to all hell. Then i wondered if anyones done that to their truck, no necessarily a SD but it would be an interesting concept. Just replace the body mounts with some small airbags and of course some on board air. The bags would have to body lift the cab a bit to allow for the travel.

You guys see any reason this wouldnt work? Im probably not gonna do it but interesting to consider.
It's a neat idea! I think this would be a lot easier. Don't know about prices. Just saw them sufin the net.

You can get just the base or complete seat.

Air Suspension for Ford 1999 & Up / 123.0077
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Chapter Director

No no no not the seats im talking about the WHOLE cab like over the road semis have
Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Yup I saw that just think it would be w-a-y too much work/money
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kf350 View Post
Yup I saw that just think it would be w-a-y too much work/money
Says the guy who did an 11 conversion jk man

Yea it would be work but if you had access to a shop with a lift it wouldnt be terrible. I cant imagine it would terribly expensive, its basically just a body lift but instead of blocks you replace with air bags. Not ones we put on our rear axles but some smaller ones that are for say those guys that bag S10s
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It might work, but understand the cab pivots, the front is solid and the rear is on air bags, the problem is from the front of the fenders to the rear of the cab it would have to pivot. For example, on my Pete 379, the hood slides on mounts on the front of the cab as it moves up and down and the hood is separate from the cab. On a Ford, since the fenders mount to the cab, you'd have to make the entire assembly move, it will be way more work than you think.......

I'd just put air ride on the rear and the air seat mount in there.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver View Post
It might work, but understand the cab pivots, the front is solid and the rear is on air bags, the problem is from the front of the fenders to the rear of the cab it would have to pivot. For example, on my Pete 379, the hood slides on mounts on the front of the cab as it moves up and down and the hood is separate from the cab. On a Ford, since the fenders mount to the cab, you'd have to make the entire assembly move, it will be way more work than you think.......

I'd just put air ride on the rear and the air seat mount in there.
I wondered if the front of the cab was hinged or not i havent been around too many big rigs. What if you used a loose fit front body mount and used just rear air bags? What are you referring to about the fenders? Wouldnt it just move along with the rest of the cab? i mean you may have to mod the components connected to the fenders a bit because they would now move rather than being fixed.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:08 AM

That would be an awesome idea! But it would be tough to get it to where the cab/fenders wouldn't rub on any of the other exterior body components. I think you'd end up having to consider all parts from the cab to the front bumper. Maybe even the bed depending on how much play there would be in the system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncin06 View Post
That would be an awesome idea! But it would be tough to get it to where the cab/fenders wouldn't rub on any of the other exterior body components. I think you'd end up having to consider all parts from the cab to the front bumper. Maybe even the bed depending on how much play there would be in the system.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Oh yea it would be tough indeed. Probably wont ever happen but would be cool if someone got it working
Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

You think your F350 is spine jarring, you should take a ride in my 96 F Super Duty. I would go with air seat as that is what I am looking to do myself since it's cheaper easier and reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.