o-ring for cruise control on motorcycle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 AM
KCCO

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
o-ring for cruise control on motorcycle

Anybody else do this or heard of this. I took an o-ring and slid it over my bar ends and use it as a cruise control on my 04 GSXR 1000. Now before you knock it, try it!

I frist heard about this a few months ago from an online forum somewhere, and thought "you gotta be crazy to do that." But then the more I thought about it, I had to try it. I of course did a "dry run" at the house first and slipped it on to see how much resistant and hold it actaully had, blah blah blah. It actually works amazingly well. You just make to make sure and use it for a crusie control, not throttle control. I only use it when I ride to work (42 miles one way) on the highway. It helps so much.

I actually think it kind of helps smooth out the throttle just in general as well. It's hard to explain, but since its a modified 1000, its pretty snappy. Well just for cruising around, it kind of "tamed" the snappy-ness of it and makes it much better to ride in town.

Anyways, I may get some grief for this, but unless you actually tried, I dont care. I just thought I'd share a little tip that actually seems to work well.

Ride safe! and always drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are u joking lmao that crazy to think about
Old 08-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It is crazy, but its really not that much different than some of the mechanical CC's. I bet it is nice on a sportbike. When a bike with that much power, stiff suspension, and bumpy highway does make it hard to stay at a constant speed by hand. It literally only takes a 1/32" of throttle position change from 60 to 90mph. When you just barely creap into the power band. Ugh. Now you got me thinking about my CBR's I used to own. Stop it. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I ran a Throttlemeister set up for years on my Busa, it works very similar to the o-ring deal and I loved having it on long rides
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 AM
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
Are u joking lmao that crazy to think about
dead serious man. It is crazy to think about at first, but when really given thought, it does make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
It is crazy, but its really not that much different than some of the mechanical CC's. I bet it is nice on a sportbike. When a bike with that much power, stiff suspension, and bumpy highway does make it hard to stay at a constant speed by hand. It literally only takes a 1/32" of throttle position change from 60 to 90mph. When you just barely creap into the power band. Ugh. Now you got me thinking about my CBR's I used to own. Stop it. Lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

That's the key my friend. It is a very rough ride on these Iowa roads and its almost acts like a steering damper like on quads, bikes or our trucks even. It really does smooth it out some. Plus it gives me a few seconds to relax my wrist when on a long ride.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

On the Concours forum they even tell you what Cat o-ring to use for best results. common as all get out, over there.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogen View Post
On the Concours forum they even tell you what Cat o-ring to use for best results. common as all get out, over there.
Haha, that's awesome. I need to find a different one for mine. It doesn't quite hold it very well. It holds it perfect when the bike isn't running, but barely. Because when the bike's running, the small vibration is enough to make the o ring not hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.