Veterans... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Veterans...

I'm wondering how you all cope with being stateside or even discharged after serving in combat? I find myself wishing more and more now the longer I've been out, I want to go back and stay there! I've been back since April 08 and out since June '10. I don't feel as comfortable in civilian life like I did before or even like I belong. Things seemed to make more sense over there and like it was where I was meant to be! Is this common to feel like this this? Truely I'm undecided on what is right, but I seem to be clashing internally more and more and can't seem to find an answer.

I would much rather discuss this on here with more of a group of people I have enjoyed talking with over the past few years than anyone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yes it is normal to feel that way. Best thing to do is find something you like to do and keep yourself busy. Also, im sure u already know, Teh VA is there to help. There a TONS of services available. When i deployed to Iraq in 04 I did not want to come home. I was 19 and had a sense of purpose. This last deployment to Afghanistan in '12, I couldnt wait to come home. Best thing u can do, is talk about it. Talk ur ppl around you, counseling or here. I hope the best for you.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
same here, very normal. My first deployment in 03-04 I hated everyone back here when I got home, I thought they were all lazy f-ers, and wanted to get back over there. Second deployment was different and couldn't wait to get home. Helps to have a good woman!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
same here, very normal. My first deployment in 03-04 I hated everyone back here when I got home, I thought they were all lazy f-ers, and wanted to get back over there. Second deployment was different and couldn't wait to get home. Helps to have a good woman!
If only a good woman existed round these parts... All liars, cheaters and good diggers. So instead, I have my dog, my trucks, and my jeep!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:37 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_ratt View Post
If only a good woman existed round these parts... All liars, cheaters and good diggers. So instead, I have my dog, my trucks, and my jeep!
Yeah there are alot of those out there. Just keep busy. Take the dog out places, camping... Best thing is to talk about whats going on with you though. It may sound stupid, but its better to get it out than let it fester inside of you.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 AM

For me it's been 9 years. Each year some things are easier some things are harder. What works for me is to stay in contact with my friends from the military and stay out of sight out of mind in the country. I do alot of walking around my property and being thankful for what I have. It's a rough uphill life long battle. The VA just wanted to push pills. I've found fishing, hunting, jeeping and good friends to be a much better alternative. As far as wanting to go back, that never changes. I got out in 06 as my company was headed back over. The hardest thing I've ever done is walk away from that Barracks for the last time. It was the most gut wrenching experience I have ever been through.
Good Luck. Remember, there is ALWAYS a fellow Vet willing to listen.
Iraq Jan 04- Jan 05

Last edited by Catron; 05-31-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I couldn't agree with you guys more I have been out sense 2008 June. Everyday is a new day I definetly work alot to try and make up for the loss of not working 12+ hrs a day like the mil life. But I wouldn't say it gets easier u Judy's find better ways to deal with it. Like hobbies and good company and talking about it. Wish u the best. And beer and offloading with some good buddy's is always good
Old 05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Been back 2 yrs. Got teased a few weeks ago and got on a plane to go back but as a civilian and trip got cancelled. So looks like no deployments for the foreseeable future. Y'all are right makes you despise most people with the stupid petty crap that goes on in today's world

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Was in Baghdad in 2007-2008, been out since 2009. I enjoyed being out for about a year then after that I wanted to go back in, here and there I have my roller coasters where I would do anything to be back in combat, other times I am glad that I am out (I have a daughter now). Its tough getting use to some things, For me I notice the little things piss me off. I never once talked to anybody about it unless it was a close close veteran friend, I bottled that **** up for years and it tore me apart. I sometimes vent to other veterans, never a civilian as it makes it worse for me. I find it easy to take my mind off the situation by working out in the garage, I try to keep myself so busy that I don't drink lol. Everything takes time, and everybody handles things differently based upon what they went through or seen. Good luck brother.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It took me about a year to finally stop haulting and going to one knee every time i heard something weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.