Electric Power costs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric Power costs?

Our electric co is state govt owned.

When our current state govt got elected 4 years ago, the previous govt had capped electric power prices for their 4 year term and they were affordable enough, that you didn't panic about turning on a light or turning appliances with standbye circuits and LEDS off at the power point overnight to save a few cents.

When the latest govt got in they claimed the previous govt left them with a $1 Billion debt for production of electric power.

As a result our electric power went up 60% in just 4 years.

Just recently it's our summer - and we have had 3 heatwaves (Temps around 110F+ for more than a week - 10 days straight) within the last 2 months - meaning you have to run air con 24 hours a day for those periods or you can't even sleep at night.

So this 2 months electric bill has just come in...

Its a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom home - double brick and tile construction, insulated ceilings, roof extractor vents.

4 people in it.

Hot water is gas fired... one stove also gas & one electric.

Normal electric appliances (TVs, refrigerators, washing machine, lights & underground retic bore on clock timer a few days a week). 2 split cycle air cons and one stand alone portable.

This latest bill - for the last 2 months! $900+

What do you all pay for electric power?

There's an election in 2 weeks time - this crews 4 years is up - I don't think I can afford to vote for them again if they think families can afford this for power costs.

Are we getting ripped by our govt electric co?

Have I just lost touch with world energy prices these days?.

I'm thinking about taking light globes out of sockets etc and cutting TV chord plugs off so they can't be used or something - I just don't know where all this power is going!

Is it just me?

Last edited by Lucky Eddy; 02-24-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: schpelling fix coz I got phat phingers syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Some people are saving money on their electric bill by generating their own electricity. There are some guides out there on how to do this. Some of them are listed on this site DIY Energy Review if you're interested?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i too thought i was getting screwed and personally still do. im litteraly home maybe 2 hours a day (except sleeping) and when i sleep i turn my heater completely off and in the day its set to 55* water heater is gas. i live in a small one bedroom one bath apartment and my last one month bill was $150..... what the hell? and the summer its up to $200-$250 a month and thats with a/c set to 76 when im gone and i turn it down to 68 at night when i sleep.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
About 2 years ago we had one of the hottest summers on record. I was hitting $600/month during that time but I can blame $2-250 of that on my computers. During the winter I manage about $300/month. I live alone in a smalish 2 bed/2 bath house. When I was living in California, the rates were tiered so if you turned on more than a toster your rate would double. It really just depends on where you live as to the costs per kw/hr.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
We have a gas stove and furnance and the highest we've paid a month is $85 for electric and $90 for gas. Our house is 1450sf with no a/c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.