House training a dog... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
House training a dog...

Looking for tips on how to house train a dog...

we have a 8month old boxer that im trying to housetrain. we have been doing the crate thing for about 2 months now and she wont go to the bathroom when shes in the crate...

the problem is that she is a outside dog during the day and when we bring her in the evening shes out of control.. and if your not watching her like a hawk she will pee on the ground...

also once the sun goes down she starts barking and crying to be let in but i usually refuse until we have at least finished dinner because shes just too out of control inside. Today one of my neighbors came over to complain about the barking and crying that happens every evening...

if i cant get this fixed where she can be calm and not pee inside the house ill have to get rid of her...

i might also add that the reason we dont like bringing her in too early is because my 1yr old son is crawling around the floor and she tries to lick him to death and he doesnt like it.....

so im open to suggestions.... how did you guys train your dog to be an inside dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Out of control how? Jumping? Biting?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM

i think your best bet would be to try and play with her outside before bringing her in. Tire her out. As far as house training for bathroom purposes the biggest thing is to not beat her for peeing inside but coddle her for going outside (dont get me wrong, a little later in her life if it happens smear her nose in it and swat her IMO). We used a 2 litre coke bottle and filled it about 1/4 way with nuts and bolts. As soon as our dog started to pee we shook it enough to scare/get her attention (could possibly work with jumping at your kid too). Plastic bags work with a lot of dogs too. More than anything, its about the dog trusting you. Every time i even cross paths with my dog I at least aknowledge her with a quick pat and now she wants nothing more than to be at my heels and obey. At least this is what has worked for my wife and I. Good luck.

Last edited by kylev90; 02-10-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
Out of control how? Jumping? Biting?
no biting.... mainly jumping on my 1yrd old and peeing inside. the fact that she wont leave my 1yr old alone means we have to carry him most of the time while shes inside or if she wont stop ill put her in her crate to go to bed...

I do try and tire her out before i bring her in... she likes chasing the soccer ball so ill go out there for about 5 min and let her chase it around until shes too tired to go after it....

ill then proceed to feed her her dinner and once shes done she comes inside....

i might add that this is the first inside dog i have owned... all my dogs growing up have been outside only dogs...
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 PM

grab the dog by the collar and sit her down and try to get your kid to come to the dog. Give it a bit and loosen your grip enough that the dog will want to jump and as she does sit her back down and just lower your voice to scold her. If your 1 year old will pet the dog congratulate the dog while shes being pet even though shes being contained.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM

Well I'm not sure about the crate thing, but with all of are dogs we carry treats with us out side....a young dog forgets quickly...so anytime something good was done we would give a treat right then...as they got order they would remember and didn't need it right away but as a pup they don't kno why they are getting a reward if its to late
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Yeah you need to get the dog familiarized with the baby.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is a tough issue Raul. You have a Boxer pup with an infant. Boxers are high energy and kicking a ball around for 5 minutes isn't coming closer to tiring it out. It wants to play and expecting a puppy to behave differently is having unreal expectations. You need to constantly work with the pup and the kid to work through this but no dog trainer I know of would recommend you have a large breed puppy with an infant.

House breaking the dog is easier. Don't put it outside during the day, kennel it. Then when you come home immediately take it for a walk, play with it, etc. After feeding take it for a walk, Take it for a walk a couple of hours later and again before you go to sleep. You have to give it lots of opportunity to do the right thing and praise it when it does. At 8 months I bet you the dog is housebroken in 2 weeks or less.

Do not scold it unless you catch it in the act and then immediately take it for a walk when you do. NEVER rub your dog's nose in poop. All that teaches them is to eat poop.

A dog that age is more work than a 1 year old infant.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
House training a dog...

So you basically have two kids lol. Man that ain't an easy deal, I could never give away an animal, I hope you try everything to give the pup a chance learn, but it'll take time and patience, and more time and patience. Good luck my friend

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 AM

Best

Best dog training book I ever read was written by a dolphin trainer.

How do you punish a dolphin? Deny it food? Then all you get is a sick dolphin and a huge veterinarian bill to cure it! Good luck with that!

Dolphin trainers get dolphins to perform fantastic and complicated tricks without punishing them.

It's called positive reinforcement training.

For a young dog start with food rewards.

Catch the dog doing something right & reward it immediately.

For immediacy - many use one of those little toy clickers - immediately you see the dog do something you want it to do - click the clicker and then as quick as possible afterwards give a food reward, plus lots of encouragement and patting etc. Later you can delete the food rewards and just praise pats etc but when young not much motivates a dog like food rewards.

Carry the treats in a pocket etc - and spend LOTS OF time outside with the dog till it pees and dumps outside, and press that clicker and give the food reward and praise immediately after.

No food reward and praise when it dumps and pees inside - if the dog wets or dumps inside, just put it outside even tho its already done it's business.

My dog is barely 2 years old - it never goes inside - it took about 3 days to train it not to when I got it. Now days it will literally "ask me" to go in or out at will.

I trained my dog as a cadaver dog.

The "positive reinforcement thing" was in the cadaver dog handbook.

The chapter on dog training, is written by Dolphin Trainer Karen Pryor, and based upon the Psychologist BF Skinner who called it Operational Conditioning (or "shaping behavior").

Pryor wrote a book back in the 80s called "Don't shoot the dog - The new art of teaching and training".

You could try buying and reading either of these two books (Amazon).

The Cadaver Dog Handbook isn't cheap it was ~$100 from memory on Amazon. (Authors Andrew Rebman, Edward David, & Marcella H. Sorg)
ISBN 0-8493-1886-6 CRC Press LLC Library of Congress no 00-042900

Practice Praise and Perseverance.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.