Question for EMTs,Fire Fighters, Police Officers, Military personal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question for EMTs,Fire Fighters, Police Officers, Military personal

Here is a little breifing on me before my question. Im a normal everyday citizen. Work shift work, third shift at a railroad.
Last night I got sent to inspect the opperation and ability to continue hauling freight after a person decided to to commit suicide.
My Question is how do you block it out? Im not one to go to a theripist and discuss my issuses, so ill ask my fellow powerstrokers with real life experiance. I have also seen some relitively disturbing things but untill this morning a deceased human body was not on that list and would rather it not be.
Any tips or advice would be appreciated

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

After coming on the scene of a suicide myself, I understand what you're going through, but you just have to let it go, don't dwell on it.

I was also involved in a fatal accident in which a car struck me head on and the driver was killed.

In either of my cases, you have to understand that there was nothing you did or could do. Go hug your family, hang with you friends and enjoy life.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 PM

Re: Question for EMTs,Fire Fighters, Police Officers, Military personal

Stardriver is right, it will always be with you but the best thing you can do is continue on and hold on tighter to your family and friends. And be thankful for what you have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM

I am a former marine, and currently work part time as a fighter paramedic. As what the others have said, it never goes away. However it will get easier as the days pass. Just keep your loved ones close to you and talk to them or someone if you need to.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys. My wife makes it easier. They guys at work are the harder ones to deal with because they want to know all the details. Plus the incident was in a part of the start that has alot of drug use and people living off the government so they think its a good thing. But there were not the person that had to deal with everything.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Re: Question for EMTs,Fire Fighters, Police Officers, Military personal

Its always the hardest when people won't leave you alone about it, one thing you can do is maybe talk to your supervisor and get a long weekend and go somewhere with your wife to get away for a couple days and just relax. That helped me when I saw my first accident...

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

I just got hm from a deployment days ago. One of our medics committed suicide. That was one of the hardest things to deal with during deployment. I'm glad that I knew him and knew he lived life to the fullest while he was with us. If u hav concerns talk to someone. Keeping it inside is the worst thing to do.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question for EMTs,Fire Fighters, Police Officers, Military personal

I'm a sheriffs deputy in Texas and have been to many calls involving dead bodies (suicides / murder suicides / and accidents). I always try to separate myself from the actual event. It's never been someone I've known so its a bit different. It's never easy to see but as long as I try not to think about it to much I can normally go on with my shift without any issues.

Last edited by DT620; 02-03-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseKK View Post
I just got hm from a deployment days ago. One of our medics committed suicide. That was one of the hardest things to deal with during deployment. I'm glad that I knew him and knew he lived life to the fullest while he was with us. If u hav concerns talk to someone. Keeping it inside is the worst thing to do.
Welcome home!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

JesseKK, welcome home.
DT620, I didnt know the person, just someone decided to jump under a locomotive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.