working over a dealer? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
working over a dealer?

I know some people that can walk into a car dealership, lay down the law and walk away with a new vehicle getting the deal they wanted.

how come I can never do that? :fawkdance:

I need to know the best aproach to going into a dealership and walking out with the vehicle you want for the price you want. im starting to get pist at walking in and having some sleezy salesman try to preasure me into paying twice what a vehicle is worth. then they play the whole well let me go talk to the boss... (salesman goes to back room has coffe break.) comes back well this is what i can do... oh that dont work for you let me go talk to the boss...
I dont have 4 hours to play that game. its a waste of my time and makes me more disapointed about getting a new truck the more i get jerked around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Know what your vehicle is worth, and know waht the vehicle you want to buy is worth.

If its new - know they get a holdback (usually 1-3% invoice i think) and that they ALWAYS have room to play.

And tell them here is what you want (and make it reasonable) and if they can do it, great -- if not, LEAVE.

They are there to wear you down and keep you in taht office offerneig you as many crazy deals as possible. but if its not what you want after say the 2nd try, LEAVE. They hate it when you leave.
then come back and ask if they are ready to actually deal -- if not, find a different dealership

the tactics can be dramatically different considering whether you're buying a new or used vehicle.

Know how long the vehicle has been on their lot... keep an eye out. The more info you have -- the better off you are...

or you coudl always just deal with a dealership that doesn't BS (on new cars) and does invoice less rebates type of pricing
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM

im going used. it just drives me nutts knowing they are asking probly 6-7 grand more than they have into a vehicle and wont budge when you tell them what you are willing to spend. I dont care what the truck books at! that dont mean squat to me lets make a deal that will make you a profit on this truck and will be fair for me in the mean time.

are these guys worried about their comision or do they really have that much preasure form the bosses to squeeze every last penny out of a vehicle?... if its a comission issue id rather slipp a few benjamins in some ones pocket than pay 3 grand more than what a trucks worth to me.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 PM
The Fat Mod

Most places price a vehicle $4-5k over what they have in it. I always go in and work up the deal with a straight out buy, then at the last minute once those numbers are there, throw the trade in there. Make them keep those numbers the same. Also, never let them sell you a vehicle on what the monthly payment is. Always the bottom price. You can figure out payments later. Don't be affraid to walk at any minute. Remember there is more than that one truck out there and many more places that want to sell it.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Most places price a vehicle $4-5k over what they have in it. I always go in and work up the deal with a straight out buy, then at the last minute once those numbers are there, throw the trade in there. Make them keep those numbers the same. Also, never let them sell you a vehicle on what the monthly payment is. Always the bottom price. You can figure out payments later. Don't be affraid to walk at any minute. Remember there is more than that one truck out there and many more places that want to sell it.

every place i have gone into asks me right up front if I have a trade. yes I do. what do i tell them when they ask this?

ive learned that a while ago about the price vrs payment. I had a dealer try to sell me a truck that booked for 12 grand tellin me he could get me a 300 dollar a month payment and when i made him put the deal in black and white they where tryin to sell me the truck for 21 grand! I dont want me vehicle to own my arse for the next 8 years!!!!

the current truck i am looking at is an 01 crew cab short box powerstroke xlt 4x4 130k miles, leveling kit, 35's with dick cepek wheels and fender flares. sticker price is $20,500 and its sitting on a toyota lot. my guess is the price of fuel has forced some pour soul into trading his desel on some jap gasser but i know they probly didnt give him half off the price of a new tundra taking a 6 year old truck on trade. my guess is they have 12-14 grand MAX in this truck.

I need to know how to get in there and walk away with that truck for 15-16 g.

Last edited by rankroddin250; 12-01-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 PM

need some help here.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
do you homework and research both retail/trade values, and everything, right down to the interest rates. i had a dealership tell me the best i was gonna get was a 10.9 % interest rate and i ended up going elsewhere and got a 4.79%. not too bad.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
tell them how much you expect to get for your trade, how much you have down, and how much you expect to pay, if they cant make it work to your favor tehn walk out. they will screw you till you stand up for yourself and make them work it out for you.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

when i bought mine, i paid 41K out the door, that was after i traded in my 99 F-250 V-10, and rolled over 4700 negative equity. it retailed for 46K . plus i put 1000 down.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 PM
one day at a time

Its really pretty easy... Figure out what you want to pay for the newer truck. Then figure out what you have to have for your trade in, and if you owe a little more than its worth consider that too. Lets just say for sake of argument that you want to pay $16k for the truck, you're trades worth $7k (just throwing #s out for an example here, ok?) You owe $8k on your truck so you're $1000 neg. equity. Walk in and tell the salesman you'll give him your truck and $10k for the newer one. They'll most likely come back with a number like $12-13k difference, maybe you want to go an extra $500, maybe not. Make them come to you Micah. After one or two tries just get up and say you've got other places to go, more trucks to check on... One tip I've found actually works is print up a BUNCH of used truck ads from dealers in your area. Have them sitting on the seat or arm rest of your truck. If a dealer employee checks out your rig as a potential trade in they'll no doubt see and maybe even go through these print outs. It's a subtle hint to them that tells them "this guy is GOING to buy a truck somewhere". I know it sounds corny, but it actually has worked in the past. Another sneaky trick is to take another truck from a different dealer on a test drive, pull it right up in the lot where this truck is and park it right in the middle of the dam lot. Hop out and start trying to wheel and deal on the truck you want. It drives the salesman nuts to see some other lots trucks sitting on their lot. Kind of evil, but fun! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.