95 wrangler YJ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 wrangler YJ

Well I have been looking for a decent jeep for a few months now. I want a decent woods vehicle as the ole powerstroke just doesn't cut it around here. Lots of logging roads or two tracks not the powestrokes specialty. Anyway my question is I am looking at a yj that ingested water into the motor. Its the 2.5 4 cylinder. Its probobly shot, but he says it still turns over fine just won't start. Also there is oil in the radiator. I can always find another engine not too worried about that as the jeep is rust free and everything else is fine, but by chance the engine is still good, what should I look for first. Should I tear the motor down to look for bent rods, valves, etc? Thanks.

Last edited by vitalidle; 12-01-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dont waist your time with the used 2.5 Be patient and you can find one someone pulled cheap on craigslist or ebay. Their not very desirable however they are great motors.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yeah I thought about doing a 4.0 swap or a chevy 4.3 conversion, but I think I will just stick with the ole 2.5 for economy. Yeah probobly the best bet, or even use the accessories of the motor and buy a block?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I if you have oil in the coolant. That could be from when the engine was submerged into the water. I know a guy that had a YJ that submerged it in a creek. Well I went to retrieve it. Took some wd40 to all the electrical under the hood. Pulled the plugs, and had the guy turn the engine over with the starter. Water shot out from the sparkplug holes. Put new plugs, wires, and cap and rotor on it. Put the engine back together and she fired up after some use of starting fluid. Got it back to base and changed all the fluids. 1 year later he drove that jeep back home to minnesota.

So I would say just change all fluids, flush the engine, put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor on it. Try to start it up. Those dang 4 cylinders run forever and take a heck of a beating.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I if you have oil in the coolant. That could be from when the engine was submerged into the water. I know a guy that had a YJ that submerged it in a creek. Well I went to retrieve it. Took some wd40 to all the electrical under the hood. Pulled the plugs, and had the guy turn the engine over with the starter. Water shot out from the sparkplug holes. Put new plugs, wires, and cap and rotor on it. Put the engine back together and she fired up after some use of starting fluid. Got it back to base and changed all the fluids. 1 year later he drove that jeep back home to minnesota.

So I would say just change all fluids, flush the engine, put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor on it. Try to start it up. Those dang 4 cylinders run forever and take a heck of a beating.
Yeah I suppose thats worth a shot also. Well decisions, decisions!lol
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
The Fat Mod

How much is he wanting for it?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Emergency Services

I had a 95 YJ with the 2.5 and personally loved it. Know going into it, you will not be able to pull anything much bigger than a 4x8 trailer and a 4 wheeler. I will not be a speed monster but it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Just about anybody who can read or search the net can work on it. There are numerous web sites and forums. Be sure to check the Jeep goes into 4wd, if not it is the vacuum going to the front diff. There is a cable option to replace it which I recommend, it will allow you to have 2 lo which is cool in tight places. I sold mine to my best friends brother for is 16th b-day, he graduates this year and I hope I can buy it back, I miss it. 30x10.5 BFG's will fit at stock height and works great.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
How much is he wanting for it?
Im hoping I can get it for about 1800 bucks. Not sure I need to talk to him again today. I have to drive to pennsylvania to get it though, so thats another 600 to 800 in fuel and motels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufit View Post
I had a 95 YJ with the 2.5 and personally loved it. Know going into it, you will not be able to pull anything much bigger than a 4x8 trailer and a 4 wheeler. I will not be a speed monster but it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Just about anybody who can read or search the net can work on it. There are numerous web sites and forums. Be sure to check the Jeep goes into 4wd, if not it is the vacuum going to the front diff. There is a cable option to replace it which I recommend, it will allow you to have 2 lo which is cool in tight places. I sold mine to my best friends brother for is 16th b-day, he graduates this year and I hope I can buy it back, I miss it. 30x10.5 BFG's will fit at stock height and works great.
Thanks for the info. I don't know if this is the right one, but Im going to get one eventually. I would prefer one that is stock now, so I can do the mods myself
Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Hey Vital if you go to PA to get it. You can always stop by my place and crash. PA is about 6 hours from my house. My house is about 12 hours from you.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Thanks bud I appreciate the offer! My sis lives in white lake, so I have a pad to crash at. If I do this it will be over x-mas as I was heading to my sisters for christmas anyway. Will save me some on the fuel bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.