Quitting Smoking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bigwes Send a message via Yahoo to bigwes
Quitting Smoking

So I decided to stop smoking yesterday. Ive been smoking since I was 16 (22 now) and have worked up to two packs a day(full flavor Marlboros) Ive known for a while how badly I need to stop, but never could even really consider it. Now im seeing a girl that i actually like and dont want to push away lol, shes very asthmatic, so i figured it would be a good reason. I also know that im guarenteed to have heart problems eventually (im 6'6, 290lbs). Stopped yesterday and now im going bat **** crazy. I have been chewing a can of skoal a day since and still want more (i know, not much better). I still want to smoke, even with a chew in! I'm trying to stay away from things that would normally led me to smoking, but thats not helping much. For those of you who have been in my situation, how did you deal with it? I need all the advice I can get, i need to see this through. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Good luck and hang in there. It is one of the hardest things you will ever do.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
back to business

Good luck man! Really! I quit about 1 year ago after smoking for 10 years. My best advice is to try and replace the smoking with something good for you, (working out, running, walking, maybe doin' stuff w/ your PSD ) I quit smoking and made a commitment to go to the gym and get my a$$ back in shape, now i'm almost obssesed with working out, not a bad habit plus i've got some good results to show for it! Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, oh and once you quit never, never, NEVER start again.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

good job man, I know how hard it is, I'm tryin to quit chewin
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM

I agree with outlaw. You have to replace it something healthy such as working out. Whenever you feel the need to smoke drop down and do twenty push ups or however many that will make you breathing hard. Also, carry around little healthy snacks because you'll want to fill that craving (apples, oranges, seeds, or gum). You may even want to have toothpicks on hand. Good luck man.

Moon
Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM

my uncle quit smoking about a year ago and he said the first weeks are the hardest. what he did was when ever he had a craving was take a swig of tabascco sauce
Old 11-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to bigwes Send a message via Yahoo to bigwes
Thanks for the support guys, day 3 is starting and i actually feel better. Didnt wake up coughing up a lung and actually got out of bed easier lol.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to chopstx667
My dad was going to quit smoking a few years back but could never get past the first few weeks. Like the other guys say, the first few weeks are the hardest! My Dad's been smoking since 16 and now he's 42!! The thing that drove him back to smoking though was not keeping himself busy and being to stressed by running the restaurant. He would also hang out in bars alot with his friends, which was probably the worse thing anyone trying to quit could do lol. Like Outlaw said, working out is a good habit to pick up in place of smoking. Good luck and hang in there bud, it's defintely a fight worth winning.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Its mind over matter.
Everytime you get a craving, think of several reasons you want to quit and say them outload, by the time you list off 5-10 reasons, the crtaving is gone and you don't want one. After a week or so of this, you will start to think smoking is disgusting and you will be turning your nose up when you see someone doing it. Its mind power.
I did this and i actually wrote out a list on a 3x5 card and carried that in my pocket and each reason started out with "I want to quit smokeing because" and then i had about 10 reasons so i would get that out first thing in the morning and read it outload. Anytime durring the day that the monkey jumped on my back, i grabbed that card and read it.
It worked great!

Last edited by Clay Henry; 11-14-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Conservative and Proud

I quit in March! Started again in August!

I chewed lots and lots of gum and get different flavors since you really shouldn't chew either, because you're not actually letting the nicotine work it's way out of your system.

You can do this!!!!!!!! I know I will again soon, jeeez especially after the lecture I got this last weekend from Larry @ DPP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.