Old people driving age limit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Old people driving age limit

Anybody think there should be an age limit for having a drivers license? For example you cant drive before you're 16yrs old for various reasons mainly related to safety yet a 90yr old can drive even tho their motor skills, reaction time and depth perception have gone out the window making it unsafe for others on the road. I think the driving age limit should be 76-79 yrs old. After that by default you lose your driving license and only way to get it back is to go to dmv and retake tests just like the 15yr old did to get his/hers drivers permit. Old people are dangerous on the road, more so imo than underage drivers. I've seen a lot more stories on the news about old folks mistaking the brake for the gas pedal and running into stores and injuring innocent people, haven't come across many stories where a young person made this mistake. Cant drive when you're 10yrs old so why should you be able to drive when you're 85yrs old?

What do you think?

Sent from my phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think there should be a limit but I think every year over 70 you should have to get your reaction time, vision and hearing checked and if they don't meer a certain standard then you're off the road.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

knowing quite a bit of old..er folks.... I would be scared if they drove LOL
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM

I had one of my trucks wiped out by a dude with Alzheimer's

He was about 73 The cop was so pissed He was still driving it was comical

the Daughter showed up and read "Dad " the riot act ,, at the end of the day it cost Me a bunch of money ,,

I agree something needs to be done
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thx for posting guys. Glad im.not alone.

Sent from my phone
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM

A couple years back there was an 86 year old in a Hummer H2 that completely missed a fork in the road and smashed into a restuaraunt going 60. Luckily it was a Sunday and the place was closed but if it had been open I can't even imagine the losses. I agree we need tighter restrictions.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't think you can set a mandatory age to take their license away but I wouldn't have a problem with making annual testing after 75 a law. If you loose the skills you loose your license. If you still have them you get to keep it.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM

I know people in their 30s and 40s that shouldn't be driving.........

An 86 year old guy go onto a 4 lane Tuesday morning going the wrong way, he won't be doing that ever again...........

When I was in CA a few years ago, about once a week, there was a story of an older person driving through a store front, the one place didn't even have the front fixed when it happened the second time.....
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Anybody think there should be an age limit for having a drivers license? For example you cant drive before you're 16yrs old for various reasons mainly related to safety yet a 90yr old can drive even tho their motor skills, reaction time and depth perception have gone out the window making it unsafe for others on the road. I think the driving age limit should be 76-79 yrs old. After that by default you lose your driving license and only way to get it back is to go to dmv and retake tests just like the 15yr old did to get his/hers drivers permit. Old people are dangerous on the road, more so imo than underage drivers. I've seen a lot more stories on the news about old folks mistaking the brake for the gas pedal and running into stores and injuring innocent people, haven't come across many stories where a young person made this mistake. Cant drive when you're 10yrs old so why should you be able to drive when you're 85yrs old?

What do you think?

Sent from my phone
Couldn't agree with you more. We had a wreck this morning at work where an elderly couple was just oblivious to the world and turned in front of an eighteen wheeler and the woman dies and the man got life flighted from the scene and probably won't make it through the week. They should have to take a test every year to keep their liscence

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

As much as it hurts me to admit it, I think you're right. My Mom is 81 - After my dad died, she's been driving herself places. She got into an accident (she hit a parked car - no one was hurt) after she got lost going to her friend's house, got frustrated and wasn't thinking clearly. After the accident, she doesn't drive herself very many places. I'll drive her places now. She is thinking about her license and what to do next with it. I know for her, she feels it's a indepence thing, but....I don't want her out there hurting anyone either.

At the same time, I'm 56, I believe myself to be a good driver, but my day is coming. So...this is something I should keep in mind when I get 'older'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.