Do you have a plan :help1: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Do you have a plan :help1:

This was being discussed on another forum I belong too. DO you have a emergency plan. What would you do, if you are evacuated from your house. How long would it take you to be ready to leave.

In my house, 30 minutes out the door with enough supplies to get us to a safe place. I always have a bag packed with clothes that fit. 1 weeks worth of clothes for me, 1 weeks worth of clothes for my wife, and 1 weeks worth of clothes for my son. I have a 5 gallon bucket standing by with lid. I would fill that up with dog food for my dog. I keep food and water bowls in my truck for him already. I have 2 gallons of water on hand, 2 gallons of water on hand for my son. I know that is not much water, but remember we are leaving to a safe area. I have a tent 4 man dome tent ready to go, sleeping bags ready to go. I have a fire proof safe with all the documents I may need. Birth certificates, Social security cards, insurance documents for the house and automobiles. All the other legal documents as well in that safe. Guess what that safe is going with me. I have a tackle box full of ammo for every gun I own. Guess what they are going too. Never know I may need to protect my family, I may need to go hunt for food. Chain saw is always gassed up and sharpened. Guess what it is going too. Never know I may need to cut up a tree on my way to a safe place.

I know that sounds like alot of stuff, but I have it in rubber maid totes, I just grab those totes and through them in the back of the truck. My wife helps load, before you know it we are on the road. 30 minutes from the time we are told to evacuate. I know because I timed it.

Now safe place where would that be. Ok if it is just a community evacuation, gas leak, or chemical spill, I go to my dads house. If it is a natural disaster where to go, well if my dads house is not effected I go there, if it effected then I go north to my moms. If her place is effected Then I go south to my aunts in Ohio. If all those options are effected then it is further south to my brothers in Florida.

The point is with the fires in Cali, with Hurricane Katrina and stuff going on. Here in Michigan we are fortunate enough not to deal with big disasters like that. Usually it only effects regions or communities. It rarely effects a large area of the state. But it could happen. I guess that is a good thing about Michigan. So What would you do, what is your plan. Do you have a plan. With winter coming what about stocking up on bottle water, canned food, fire wood, things that you may need if we have a big blizzard. Is your car ready incase you have to leave in a hurry. These are all things to be thinking about.

No I am not paranoid, but I am prepared. I believe I am prepared for the worse. I would be good enough until at least the red cross or national gaurd got to me. This is something to think about.

Remember personal belongings can be replaced. Your house can be replaced, but your family and friends can not be replaced.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Out here in Washington we have to worry about earthquakes and volcanos. That being said we have supplies for 3 days already in the back of the truck and another at the house incase I am not home. We also have an emergency contact plan so that if the cell service is down we can still keep in touch if we get seperated.

Good post. More people need to think about this kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
I hear that!!

Other than financially, I can get just about anywhere in the country in 48 hrs if I have to. I can drive 36 hrs straight if I had to...not counting stopping for fuel. Brisco can hold just about anything we NEED. I have the g/f's house to goto...about 30 mins away, for the next 2 months, I can shack up at any military base period. The only thing that I am not prepared for is the financial part of it all. I don't have enough $$$ to pay for fuel more than 200-300 miles away..(and how am I going to get back?)...same goes for stopping for food etc. I know that if (lol), here in the MD area, at the minimum, I would be taking the g/f along with her parents whereever, which would add on some response time, but would offset the costs of the travel. I have my emergency 5 gallon fuel can...but it's empty att.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Kids, wife, file cabinet & selected guns and ammo. Toss 'em all in the rig and done. The rest falls into place from there.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Very good post -- I have a list of things I would grab and go with -- probalby would hook up the 5er and just head on out

But I do need to get all important docs (that aren't in the safety deposit box) rounded up and put in a safe place.

This is a good thread and it is ALWAYS good to be prepared!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to mrsBlue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to mrsBlue01F250
Very Good Post

With Tornado's and Ice Storms we should be more ready than we are. Knowing what to bring is one thing - but we need to have it pretty much ready.

I SUCK at food storage that was actually one of my goals next year - my church urges that you start food storage and build yourself up to a year of canned goods -

I have a pattern for a 48 hour kit if anyone wants one - it fits into a milk container - gallon jug - everything excent your gallon of water - this is a great activity for your family to do together so you can talk about what to do incase.

Now with having kids - I need to be more prepared. Thanks for posting this thread. Light another fire under my butt.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a bail-out bag for me and keep the camper ready to just back up to. It'd pretty much have to be nuclear fallout for me to leave home though. Generator, food, water, guns, ammo. Load the Rhino in the truck bed with gas cans, my wife and I empty the closets into the camper and roll on to wherever we need to be.
Oh yeah, take a chainsaw too just in case!!!

Another thing to consider with tornadoes and icestorms as we get our share of those: CASH is king. No power=no ATM. No telecommunications= no plastic.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:58 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Hey on this note - maybe slightly off topic but with winter coming on (already hit some of you) be sure and check your smoke detectors. I was watching the news yesterday and they were discussing it. I'm changing out my batteries in all mine today.
You're slacking on me Scott, you normally put out your reminder thread.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

You know I guess it's somthing I should pay a little more attention too. I guess we don't have the natural disasters like some parts of the country, and I could always live off the land if need be, but somthing simple to throw together would be a smart move. Oct is fire prevention month and thats my reminder to change out the batteries every year on the smoke detectors. Good thread BC!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have done all of the above. There is a website that has a ton of suggestions at Provident Living Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.