Any Land Appraisal Experts out there? Need Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to upd103 Send a message via Skype™ to upd103
Question Any Land Appraisal Experts out there? Need Advice

OK. So here's the deal.

In December of 2010, my wife and I purchased a 4.1 acre lot in Texas. We purchased it through the bank, and if all goes well, we should have it paid off in December. It is a corner lot with a Farm to Market Road on one side, and a County Road on the other side. About 2 acres of the land is fairly low lying and is not suitable to put a house on. The upper 2 acres is very gentle sloping, and is perfect to build on. The lot is cleared except for about 14-18 trees or so. All of them are old slow growth hard woods. The majority are towards one side of the property. There is telephone along the road frontage as well as water and electricity.

The lot was once part of a larger tract that was purchased and sub-divided up into several lots. My corner lot was the largest. The adjacent lots that run along the county road are all 1.75 acres in size. In October of 2011, my wife and I decided that it would be great to have just a little more room to be able to put our house on. The lot adjacent to the one we had just bought was available, and we were able to purchase this lot with cash.

So I now have a 5.85 acre corner lot. Since purchasing it, we have already put in a water meter (Geez that is expensive,) we have put in a nice fence (good quality horse fence with treated posts and T-Posts as well as a set back gate,) and we constructed a temporary loafing shed for the horses. The property sits just 3 miles out of Huntsville which is about 35,000 people or so.

OK. Here's the question......

We (rather I) have been wanting to put in a decent size pond in the low lying area of the property. I have contacted a professional who also happens to be a friend who has been digging government funded ponds for over 30 years, so I know it will be done right. He estimated me "no more than" $5000 on a pond roughly 1.25 to 1.5 acres in size. That includes the culverts as this pond will have to be "dug out" due to the neighbors low sitting drive way up the creek about an 1/8th of a mile.

Do you think that I will see an increase in equity at or above my expenditures to having the pond put in. We are looking at using the equity in the land as the down payment on the construction loan. So if I can get a boost in equity of $5000 or more, then it is money well spent at this time.

There are lots just up the road, in a nearby subdivision and the ponds there are increasing the values astronomically. I just don't know if that is regular or just a fluke.

What do y'all think?

I will post some shots of the plat and the land shortly.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM

OK. Just a quick idea on numbers.

The 4.1 acre lot went for $10,878 an acre or $44,600. I got the 1.75 at $14,285 an acre or $25,000 even. This is actually a really good rate for as close to town as it is and with the utilities already on it.

Here is the plat. My lots are number 6 and 7.

And here are just a few other shots of the land in general to give you an idea.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice. Don't know the answer to your question but I think a pond would be a real asset if for nothing else in case of a fire.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Yeah. Actually, there is a 2 inch fire department fill line on my property at the intersection. LOL

Granted, it's not a real hydrant, but it's a lot better than nothing.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM

$5,000 is a small amount of money when talking about real estate. If you want it, do it. It's not going to make or break the property.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Yeah. I know that. It just throws my time table off. I work overseas and only get to come home ever so often so time tables and finances are a HUGE deal.

If I can see the equity gains, then I'm just gonna say go for it. I think I will. It's the equity value vs. cost that I was thinking about. It's all about trying to get ready to build the house.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM

No info really. But using just that one road on your map, I googled your property in less than 10 seconds
I'm just a curious person like that.

Personally, I'd build it. It's kinda hard to get an idea of where the tank would go.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Yeah. I'm not too worried about people knowing where the property is. LOL.

It's just a piece of land, and the horses aren't even out there all the time. So nothing really to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.