Shop Air Compressors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Off-Topic Discussion of All Non-Related Topics

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Shop Air Compressors

I'm looking to get probably a 60 gallon air compressor for my garage. I want to be able to run a 1/2" impact without having to wait for it to fill, run air ratchets, run a paint gun on a rare occasion and fill tires, of course. Just lookin for some opinions if you think that is the right size for me and what brand i should look into. I've looked at kobalts but i've read reviews that they like to over heat the air they compress. I want something that is gonna last and work good for years, but would prefer not to empty my bank account to do it. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get the most compressor you can. If you plan on using any sanders or anything that you run for a longer time, look at two stage units.
I know price doubles for two stage units.
Bought a two stage 5hp 80gal on craigs list about two months ago, now I can use my sand blasting cabinet. Like new paid $800 for it, look under tools.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM
PMR = JUNK

What is the difference of stages? Explain that to me if you will.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
PMR = JUNK

How good is Iron Horse brand? Just found one on craigslist, 60 gallon, supposedly like new, asking $500.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
One big thing you will need to consider is your electrical supply and ensure it will meet the needs of the compressor. Larger single phase 220/240V air compressors ~5hp suck back around 30 amps, about what a clothes dryer needs.

A 2 stage will have 2 cylinders, one receives fresh air and pushes it to the second cylinder (think sequential turbos.)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM

i have an c-aire 5 hp 60 gallon that worked great until the compressor locked up but i did get it used and believe it was made in 2000-20001 so i dont know the entire history of it but i used it roughly 200 hrs in the 2 yrs i've had it
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
PMR = JUNK

Well the garage at my current residence has 200 amp service. So I'm good there. Once i move into my own place if it doesn't have enough juice, i'll have the garage rewired so it does. I plan on having a 220 welder also so i'll need the power.

So one cylinder brings in air, compresses it, then sends it to the other where it compresses it more? Seems like it would be more logical to have to cylinders bringing in fresh air for faster filling.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Simplified - a two stage compressor provides more air than a single stage. Basically its a cascade effect. But you'll be okay if you get a single stage with enough capacity (60 gal or more) and a high CFM rating at a high psi.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!

look at at the max psi on the tank too... some have 120psi while others have 150psi. when you turn the compressors up to 150, the air hammers, and impact guns really talk!!, but it prematurly wears them out.

also i dont belive anything uses over 10cfm@90psi and a good single stage compressor can put out 18cfm@90psi. so a doubble stage would be great, unless you running more then one tool at a time often. its not needed. was just looking at northern tools real quick and saw an off brand with a 60GAL/150psi tank, 18.2cfm@90psi for $900 and free shipping. im sure u can find something better on CL but make sure its not a 3phase motor.

EDIT... not free shipping. here is a link, IR makes one with same CFM but 130psi max and $100 more
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5342_200455342

Last edited by ol_Blue97; 08-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
we have a 80 gal snap-on one in are one garage. But we are going to buy a 80gal Quincy for out new shop. Just like this one
Amazon.com: - Quincy Compressor Reciprocating Air Compressor - 5 HP, 230 Volt Single Phase, 80-Gallon Vertical Tank, Model# 251CP80VCB: Home Improvement Amazon.com: - Quincy Compressor Reciprocating Air Compressor - 5 HP, 230 Volt Single Phase, 80-Gallon Vertical Tank, Model# 251CP80VCB: Home Improvement

What ever you do don't buy a cheap one. like a $500 kobalt 60 gal. or a harbor freight one. their noisy as hell,wont keep up, and overheat.

Get a high pressure one also. one that is capable of 175psi+ if you get one that operates between say 95-125 it isn't going to run air tools for ****.
I have my regulator set at 130. compressor operates at 150-175.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.